When nothing is calling for heat, why does boiler keep running

Options
All our radiators are set to low and the hot water is off, but the boiler is always running. Why is this?

Answers

• PsyVision
    Options
    I had this issue last night. One TRV had lost connection with the bridge and nothing was showing as requesting heat under Care & Protect and yet the boiler was running.
  • Could be a faulty valve actuator. If the valve is continuously calling for heat (because it hasn’t closed properly) your Tado can be showing everything ‘off’ but the boiler will still be running as the valve hasn’t closed.
  • Thanks for the messages. I have checked the divertor, but what I have found is that the noise is the hot water cylinder heating constantly. We purchaded a V3+ starter kit with TRVs as advised (as we have an unvented cylinder) but the device in the box and registered QR code is for a Wireless Temperature Sensor. I'm guessing this doesn't program the hot water as we need - so need to contact Tado for them to send the correct device perhaps?
  • For hot water control you need the extension kit
  • cscarth
    Options
    Hi - I just installed a 2nd wireless receiver for my second heating zone. It’s calling for heat from an old Vaillant combi boiler.

Even when this zone doesn’t call for heat the motorised valve is continually set to on. I’ve replaced the valve’s motor, so that’s not the problem. To be clear the heating light on the receiver is correctly off.

I don’t know if it’s relevant but the app added the hot water function to this 2nd wireless receiver and I have had to set that too off. That didn’t happen when I installed the 1st receiver for my first zone.
  • Toni2benz
    Options
    Hi, I've set up my new Tado with wireless radiator valves throughout. Do I need the wireless temperature sensor on as well? It is linked but not sure what it brings to the party. Thanks for your help.
  • Toni2benz
    Options
    Sorry with further searching I have answered my own question.
  • cbd20
    cbd20 ✭✭✭
    Options
    @cscarth as far as I'm aware you can only have 1 wireless receiver per home, as per this link:

https://support.tado.com/en/articles/3455030-how-many-devices-can-i-have-in-my-tado-home

Perhaps this is the cause of your problems?
  • cscarth
    Options

Hi @cbd20 - I have been told that by Tado too. I didn’t find it in the up front pieces I could find when deciding how to configure my 2 zones - so I’m still somewhat committed to making the fairly costly kit I’ve invested in work as you might imagine…

As it turns out all the functions and lights for the 2 receivers behave exactly as hoped - so I don’t think this is my issue. I’m sure there have been instances of receivers interfering with each other hence the official advise but I don’t believe that’s my issue.

I can’t get the receiver that is constantly calling for heat to change from ‘S-Plan & Y-Plan’ to ‘Combi’ setting. I’ve followed the instructions and it just flashes yellow for a lot longer than expected and then goes back to the original green setting.

• Bor1s_
    Options
    Sophiemorris
    I have the same situation. The tado receiver is either on or of for hw, but the cylinder thermostat is always on. I don't know why is this. Have you found the solution?
  • Bor1s_
    Options
    I have found a solution. So in my case the wire that controls on off for hot water wasn't screwed in firmly, so I assume the contact was intermittent. Once I firmly screwed it in it started to function normally. Will update if anything new arise.