Possible to set heating modulation manually?

Hello,

As we all now Tado uses opentherm and can thus set the amount of heat the boiler produces. In the app you can see the three indicators as such: https://imgur.com/a/K0Bi8dU

Since my radiotors are a bit old they will produce quite a bit of sound in the form of ticking when heated up rapidly. So I wonder if it's possible to tell the tado to heat up the system itself slowly in order to produce less of a ticking sound in the entire heating system every morning.

My house cools down quite a bit every night (19 -> 16c) and every morning when Tado kicks in it goes to full gear to get the house warmed up as fast as possible using maximum heating from the boiler, and basically waking us up with a lot of ticking noise every time. If I could tell Tado to take more time to heat up the system the ticking will probably be less.

So far I've not found how to do this in the app.

Thank you

Jules

Answers

• Rob2
    Rob2 ✭✭✭

That kind of tweaking is not possible for the user in the Tado system but the helpdesk can do such settings.

Very inconvenient to do that via the helpdesk of course, these settings should be available for the user.

• Wait, the helpdesk has more option than the App UI? Why is that? Isn't there a way to do it yourself. I can give them a call anyway tomorrow but still, I might have to tweak the schedule a few times and don't want to call them everytime.

• Hi @Jul123,
    I agree that there is not a simple 'Click to Fix" this.
    However if you're willing to spend a bit of time and interact with the schedules for your rooms within the App, then it is possible to 'reduce/eliminate' the amount of 'thermal stress" within your CH system.

I have initiated/set up a ' Slow/Gradual ' start........You can set a temperature change every 15 Mins in the schedule....so what I've done is this.....per Tado Room.

Working from your overnight setting of (for example) 16 degrees.....schedule a temperature change of only 1 degree for 20 to 30 mins (to allow measuring device to achieve the new set temperature) and continue these incremental changes, until you have achieved the 'full temperature' setting that you require at the appropriate time.
    This does mean that your system will be supplying a type of "Early Start".....which is controlled by you.
    Also if you have a scheduled temperature change during the day.....make it by 1 degree incremental steps.

Doing it this way means that you are not asking your boiler to suddenly be 'ramped up' to 'full blast'

I have done this.....But....I know that many people will not want this level of integration, and that's absolutely fine, each to their own.
  • Jul123
    Jul123
    edited January 2021

Yes, this is what I came up with myself this morning. My schedule now has 1c change every 20 min. But that's when I thought that surely there must be an easier way to do this. Looking at the UI it also doesn't seem that it was designed with this in mind, clicking the various timeblocks now is a bit tedious. As you can see here: https://imgur.com/a/3Si9zI6

But let's see tomorrow morning if it has some effect.

Thanks for the answers.

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭

@Rob2 Useful to know - thanks. Are you aware of any other tweaks etc that tado keep to themselves?

• Rob2
    Rob2 ✭✭✭

There is not even a list of settings, that makes it even worse.

It is apparently their policy to keep such details away from the end-user and into the hands of their service personnel, but there could at least be a list of all settings on some page in the web app so you can see what settings there are and how they are set now, so you can ask directly for some specific setting to be changed.

And of course there should be a way for a user to change that himself, if needed after a click on "I agree that this is at my own risk".