Replace Internet bridge

I'm a very long standing tado customer. Had a Tado v1 for years. I've contacted Tado regarding upgrading my heating system and have been encouraged to install an OpenTherm boiler. This I have done.

Today, it was time to upgrade Tado. I purchased all the correct components, and now have 11 brand new tado components all installed. And then everything went wrong.

1st thing. I am UK based. It seems that Tado no longer supports OpenTherm in the UK. Why, its cheaper to make without OpenTherm. There is no option to buy a device in the UK that supports this. The same device in Europe supports OpenTherm. This is wrong. It's as simple as that. Tado. You've lost your soul.

2nd thing. I need to replace my v1 bridge with the new v3+ bridge. Nope. Tado says no. why. I get a helpful error message saying: "Sorry, something went wrong. The response from the server was unexpected. Please screenshot this message"

No clues, nothing.

3rd thing. Tado support. None existent. Cant phone and directed to online chat. Online chat will take 1 day to respond. I have not heating or hot water! Its January in the UK. This is not acceptable.

Tado, back in the day, you used to be a great company to engage with. This is not even poor, you've lost that care for your customers. Sad.

Best Answer

• GrilledCheese2
    GrilledCheese2 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

If you leave a message on the emergency number explaining you have no heating they will treat your case as a priority.

V1 & V3 kit is incompatible. I believe the only way to upgrade is for Tado to manually intervene and transition your account to the new system.

You can still buy the Extension Kit in the UK which is the predecessor to the Wireless Receiver and supports OT. Currently £76 in Screwfix.

Answers

• I hit enter, sorry.

So, my question is:

1. Does anybody reading this either know how to contact Tado to try to resolve this so I have heating this evening
    2. Have any idea how to force a reset on my account so I can register these new products, the Internet Bridge etc..
  • For those in the UK looking for OpenTherm and Tado, there is another option. For cost cutting reasons Tado decided to remove OpenTherm from the Wireless Receiver (Programmer) only in the UK. If you buy the European version of this device it has OpenTherm.

If Tado respond to this they will no doubt suggest the reason for the removal of OpenTherm from the UK device was either:

1. Installer confusion. Installers did not know how to fit OpenTherm
    2. Take up. Apparently installations of OpenTherm in the UK is low.

to 1. You used to have registered installers. It would be my expectation that they had a degree of proficiency in installing Tado, including OpenTherm. I chose my installer beciase he was registered with you. He knows how to fit OpenTherm.

to 2. This is Chicken:Egg. You will never get any take up of OpenTherm installations in the UK if the devices you sell to the UK market do not support this.

I'd go further. I have been a Tado customer since very early days. I get emails and the app shows the green credentials of using Tado. There can be no debate that OpenTherm is a better solution for controlling a central heating boiler, it is greener, and uses less energy. It seems that the decision to remove this from the device is purely commercial. This is not a green choice. This is not a cutting edge solution to the heating problem. You should be ashamed at treating an entire market in this way.

Please feel free to pass these comments on to Toon Bouten. I would love to hear from a Tado representative with the official view on this.

Put OpenTherm back please.