Extending TRV connection range

Options
I've had intermittent problems with the TRV at the far end of my kitchen disconnecting intermittently since I bought in to Tado. and I'm fairly sure the problem is just distance from the bridge. I've tried all the usual suggestions including swapping for another TRV changing batteries etc etc. The only thing that seemed to work is moving the bridge to a Powerline adapter in the kitchen, but then the problem arises with the one at the other end of my house. The bridge usually sits fairly close the the middle and side of the house plugged in to the router for internet connection and power via USB. The spot I tried in the kitchen is 2m away but on the other side of the wall.

Sure enough when the problematic TRV is disconnected, of I take it off the radiator and move it 5m closer to the bridge it reconnects immediately.

One thing that just occurred is that I have a petmate smart catflap which could be interfering as it's in the line of sight between the problematic TRV and the bridge. Not sure what wireless protocol that uses.

Can anyone tell me which wireless protocol the Tado system uses and if it's possible to get some kind of 3rd party repeater?

Comments

• dydderent
    Options
    Ok, I've just seen the thread with hundreds of people asking the same thing, so I guess that's a no then. I think I'll have to look in to switching to Drayton Wiser in the near future
  • Pete
    Pete ✭✭✭
    Options
    I moved the bridge to the loft space and positioned a large flat board wrapped in tin foil about 150mm above the bridge.
    This reflects the signal and gives much better reception.
  • Agree. The system either needs to be a mesh arrangement where the various devices can daisy-chain or they release a repeater. Very strange that the system design is so prone to connectivity issues. Even if you buy a second bridge you cannot use it on the same app. So nearly a good system but this is a flaw. Looks like Drayton saw this issue and dealt with it up front.
  • darchtrevor
    edited December 2022
    Options

I have two TRVs at the either side of the property that keep dropping connection.

I seem to have solved this by wrapping aluminium foil around the TRV leaving the front uncovered. This appears to improve the radio reception on the two values and they have stayed connected for the past few days.

Shame the antenna in the Tado Hub is too small/weak

• luteijn
    Options
    "Shame the antenna in the Tado Hub is too small/weak"
    It is probably just forced that way because of the rules around the use of the radiospectrum. Such a pity they haven't bothered improving their programming to be able to deal with multiple bridges.