Radiator thermostat (knob) measures completly wrong temp

Options

since a week (or more?) the know in granny's room does not measure the correct temp

heating is turned on in schedule as of 8 pm till 10:30 pm, starting most of the time at 12 degrees, heating to 19 degrees

but after 2.5 hour temp is not reached according to the radiator thermostat

so radiator is open for heat, room is way above 23 degrees .. but the thermostat still says that its like 18 degrees in the room

checked if there was a device offset set by accident .. nope µ

could it be that the know is defect or could it be another cause ?

Best Answer

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @VanDaeleC,
    I must point out that the "actual" temperature in (even a small) room can (and does) vary substantially within the room.
    Due to the inherent inaccuracies ot the Tado SRT's.....it is absolutely imperative that you find the position that best provides the room temperature that you are "happy" with.

I have been using an electronic hand help (medical) thermometer....and it was very surprising just how much of a variation was achieved within a room.

Once you have selected the temperature "sweet spot" you need to then set the temperature for your setup. A Wireless Temperature Sensor will allow you to set temperatures of greater granularity.....for example 21.5 as opposed to either 21 or 22 degrees......however Tado's "price point" for these WTS's is appallingly HIGH imho

PS don't place any faith in the methodology involved with the "Open Window Detected" function.....(read other posts on this topic)

Answers

• have you another smart TRV valve to swap with?

• VanDaeleC
    Options

good idea .. i have one still sitting here .. will try that

• davidlyall
    Options
    Could it be that the thermostat is located in a cold part of the room? Is there a draught around it?

Do you have a way of independently measuring the air temp beside the TRV?
  • GrayDav4276
    Options
    Hi @VanDaeleC,
    Something else for you to check and rule out......is it possible that the SRT has been accidentally adjusted (seen as a manual change) and your device is set to 'set' a manual change "until cancelled by user"
    Check the settings in 'Rooms & Devices' and check the "Manual Change" settings.
    It's worth a look.
  • VanDaeleC
    Options

swapped the valve, same story

I have a valve left over, will configure to measure temp in room other location

feedback to follow

• Pete
    Pete ✭✭✭
    Options
    @VanDaeleC
    In the room setup, make sure the temperature sensor is the device that you think it should be (and not from another actuator or room sensor elsewhere).
  • VanDaeleC
    Options

I hooked up a spare SRT, lets see what it gives

In my 'bureau' or 'office' the temp that was handled all the time iwith the knob being installed at the radiator pointed out 20 degrees most of the time, sometimes 20.7, but pretty ok ... only ... the know that i have configured for temp measuring showed met 22 degrees, same room 2.5m by 2 meters .. small office, me sitting in the office working .. so that's a 2 degree difference. Difference is that the radiator knob is at 15 cm height from the floor level, the other measuring srt is at 90 cm height ... distance between the two is 1 m .. 2 degrees of is 10% and is a lot for me. I now have put the measuring srt in the room of granny where everything goes completely wrong. Her window is open now, the srt in the sleeping room downstairs tells me that the temp is 15 degrees now, with the window open. Temp is set at 10 degrees until 8 pm, then it should kick in until temp is 20, of course the window will be closed in the mean time. I have laid the measuring srt in the room, first it said that it had detected an open window .. correct for this time .. now the temp is slowly decreasing on the measurement know .. I'll keep a watch on the temp and compare.