How do you configure a wired thermostat in the app to control all radiators?

I have just set-up tado for the first time in my apartment and replaced my single wired thermostat (which controlled turning heat on to all my radiators) with a wired smart thermostat. I also added smart radiator thermostats to 9 of my radiators. Everything is paired and seems to be working correctly. When I look at the Tado app, I see my smart thermostat as being its own "room" and it shows up on the home screen just like all the rooms that have a smart radiator thermostats (there are two radiators with smart radiator thermostats in the same room as the wired smart thermostat but I didn't group them all together as the wired smart thermostat controls the heat to the whole house, not just that room). Is this the expected behavior? Do I need to move each smart radiator thermostat to be in the same "room" as the smart thermostat or will it work as intended with this set-up(a smart radiator thermostat from another room needs to heat up, sends a signal to the wired smart thermostat, which then turns on the boiler)? My understanding is that the wired smart thermostat in this situation acts as a relay of sorts. If this is a bit confusing, I can provide some more info/screen caps.

Best Answers

• cbd20
    cbd20 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @jackbr4 it depends on what you want to happen...

If you would like each room to be able to request heat separately then, keep the devices in their own rooms and set the heating controller for each room to be the smart thermostat. That way a radiator thermostat can request that the smart thermostat fires the boiler, to supply heat to that room. In this case, I would group the two radiator thermostats in the same room as the smart thermostat all together and set the smart thermostat to be the measuring device for that room.

However, if you want the smart thermostat to "control" all radiator thermostats directly then do as @GrayDav4276 says and group them as one room. Though I would argue if that's all you wanted, you're not really getting the benefit of granular control of heating in each room...

You can also set each smart radiator thermostat into a passive mode, where they can have their own schedule but cannot call for heat directly. This can be done by leaving them in their own room and not setting the smart thermostat as a zone controller for that room. This means heat will only be supplied when the main thermostat is calling for heat, but still allows an individual room to be turned down or off. In this mode of operation, if an individual room is cold outside of when the main thermostat is calling for heat, it will remain cold.
  • jackbr4
    jackbr4
    edited March 2021 Answer ✓

Thanks @GrayDav4276 and @cbd20 for your answers. The scenario that @cbd20 outlined where I would like each room to be able to request heat separately is what I was looking for. The missing piece for me was how the individual SRT's communicated with the smart thermostat, but the explanation of setting the heating controls per SRT solves that. I work in technology (and am not particularly handy), so I thought the installation would be the hardest part and configuring the app would be the easiest, but it turned out to be the opposite! Thanks for helping this tado newbie!

Answers

• Hi @jackbr4
    If you want your Wired Smart Thermostat to "control" all the radiators (fitted with SRT's) then all the SRT's must be allocated to the Tado Room with the Wired Smart Thermostat.
  • Hi @jackbr4
    Apologies.... I only answered as per your question.....I would have replied with a more in depth response as @cbd20 did if I had realised your question was a more "general" query and not a request for some "specific" information.
    I hope you have now got the information you require to understand your setup.
    (great answer @cbd20)
  • Thanks @GrayDav4276. Looking back it was a bit of a confusing question as I didn't really know the terminology or what to specifically ask for.

• cbd20
    cbd20 ✭✭✭
    @jackbr4 Glad it helped. I just gave all the options as sometimes it's not always clear what the capabilities of the tado system actually are, especially with some of the settings being well hidden and not obviously labelled as to what they do. I didn't want you to end up in a sub-optimal setup and not realising all the possibilities, as I have to admit I initially assumed you were also asking what @GrayDav4276 thought.

Glad it's all sorted now.