Help with new Tado purchase

Options
Hi,

Firstly I must say it is frustrating that you have to purchase Tado products before you can go through the install guide.

In doing so I fell at the first huddle with the setup telling me I’ve bought the wrong product. However I’m not 100% convinced I have. Can you help?

I’ve just moved into a new build home. The house has a combi boiler (ideal logic ESP1 35) and 2 zones for central heating controlled via 2 Danfoss zone valves. Wiring is very simple with switched live coming from the Boulder to the wiring center along with live, neutral and earth. This switched live is connected to both zone valves orange wires. I have 2 thermostats 1 in lounge which controls downstairs heating and one in master bedroom controlling upstairs heating. These are both Danfoss TPOne-M units which are thermostats and programmers. These each provide a switched live connection back to the zone valves via the wiring center. Connected to the zone valve brown wire.

I bought the Tado wired thermostat v3+ starter kit and a wired thermostat add-on.

I thought it would be simple but maybe not…

Wiring in the thermostats are N neutral, L live with an addition loop to COM and NO1 is the switched live back to the wiring center.

Any help appreciated!

Tim

Comments

• timw2000
    Options

Photos of boiler wiring centre and thermostats attached...

• GrilledCheese2
    Options

You’ve bought the correct products. Your current thermostats are mains powered, but the Tado is battery powered. Fewer wires are used as you just need to switch the Live on the Normally Open relay terminal. For each thermostat you need to wire as follows:

1) NO1 to NO

2) Live to COM

3) COM discard the short jumper wire

4) Neutral to P1 (parking terminal for unused wires)

5) Earth to P2 (parking terminal for unused wires)

No changes needed in the wiring centre or the boiler.

• timw2000
    Options

Thank you @GrilledCheese2, I thought that would be the case but was not 100% sure on whether parking the Neutral would be okay.

It's not good that the Tado guided install tells you to go buy the wireless version where you would then have to wire it into the wiring centre directly!

Thanks again.

Tim.

• Hello

I have a similar set up for my flat, exact sme brands for boiler and valves but I'm trying to install the Wireless Thermostat and Receiver.

I connected the receiver to the boiler and it's on and turns on the heating but nothing happens, hot water is not moving to the radiators at all. :(

This is what the zone valves and original wiring look like for me, but I have not connected anything to that, only to the boiler.

Would I need to connect the receiver to this? If so I have no idea what would go where I'm afraid and most electricians I contact also tell me they would not know where to begin.

Thanks.

• johnnyp78
    Options
    If you have zone valves you need something to send a signal to them, not the boiler. Assuming you have a hot water cylinder, the usual setup is Tado wireless receiver to hot water cylinder and one zone valve, tado wired thermostat to the other zone valve. Tado should have given you customised install instructions but I’m guessing weren’t aware you had heating zone valves.
  • wateroakley
    Options
    Johnny is the giving right info here. Tado support will usually give the wiring info for an amateur install.