Radiator thermostat letting heat through when set to off

Options

One of my smart radiator thermostats has been causing a bit of an issue, where even when it is set to off, if the boiler is on (i.e. set to heat another room) some heat is still getting through to the 'off' radiator.

I don't think it's a calibration issue, as I've tried re-calibrating and also tried using one of my other smart radiator thermostats and the issue persists. This leads me to think its something going on with the radiator itself.

I've no idea where to start though as my radiator knowledge is next to zero (I'm amazed I was able to set this system up to be honest). So before I spend money on plumbers, has anyone else had this issue? Or does anyone think it may be something simple like 'tighten x up on the radiator'?

Thanks in advance.

AD

Answers

• PDP
    Options

@AndrewD The suggestion by grilledCheese is right but not the only possible root cause in my experience. I have the same occasionally with the the Tado radiator valves after using them for over a year now. Occasionally they don't work properly and a radiator is hot even though it is set to off. The first approach I try is to pop the batteries out and that usually works. What I have had to do on 2 occasions was to delete the TRV from the room and add it back in. That also did the trick.

Hope that can help but it could also be a stuck valve as @grilled has said.

• AndrewD
    Options
    Thank you @GrilledCheese and @PDP for those responses! I have tried removing the battery a few times but doesn’t seem to help (it does its recalibration and then back to how it was). Will investigate the valve and contact support in case they can help too.