Tado and HomeKit not syncing

Options

Comments

• I really don’t think this is an issue Apple can/will address. It’s a problem one manufacturer’s devices have. Apple probably changed something while releasing HomeKit with iOS 15. They do that all the time with other frameworks as well (I know, I’m a professional iOS developer myself). Breaking changes are common on major version upgrades and it’s in the interest of every software developer to check for bugs on the newest os versions as soon as possible and take steps to fix them.

imho Tado needs to get to work here and fix their software either the Tado app or the firmware running on their devices. Apple won’t do a thing here unless there is a general problem here which I don’t really believe there is. Can’t be sure though.

• svn_sko
    Options
    😥
    Thanks a lot for giving it a tey @rafm5
    I really hope tado is fixing this soon. Otherwise I’ll move to a different system. Ideally a thread based one.
  • WJKoelman
    Options

Same problem here. Homekit shows the Tado valves and Tado Room Thermostat. It can control both however it's not showing the actual temp. It sees the programmed temp at 20' and can not sync with the valves/ thermostat to show the current temp. Hope this will be fixed soon.

At my home situation I have 4 Elgato Eve thermostat valves and 9 Tado valves. Homekit is running on a HomePod mini and updated to 15.2. Also I tried Homekit running active on my Apple TV, makes no difference.

The Elgato Eve is working normal and Tado is not synchronising anymore so the problem is obviously in the Tado software

• Xxtreem
    Options

Hi,

I have the same problem here. I use Tado for 3 Month now. The first Month everything was just finde and suddenly Homekit doesn’t sync probably. Tado app works fine and shows the correct status.

Reset Tado, reset Homekit, switching w-lan on AppleTv (homekit bridge) nothing workes.

HomeKit is the reason why I chose Tado.

• Espiox
    Options
    Same problem here since earlier today - whenever I open the HomeKit control for my Smart Thermostat, it’s at 18 degrees. The Tado app shows the correct temp. Devices are running the latest public iOS updates.

HoneKit was *the* reason I bought Tado, so if this doesn’t get fixed, I’ll have to switch to an alternative.
  • rafm5
    rafm5 ✭✭✭
    Options

Report to tado° also keep pestering  Apple via https://reportaproblem.apple.com

All started with iOS 15 where Apple changed  things under the hood.

• MichielTado
    Options

@rafm5 Why do you think it is an IOS 15 issue? If I search for “homekit not syncing ios 15” in Google I basically find nothing except for this thread. And what kind of bug would it be for IOS 15 to work with your Tado device, but refuses to update the latest temperature which IOS should receive from the Tado device also.

As @objective_cesar said, perhaps Apple changed something, but to expect Apple to bugfix a device specific issue is futile, especially when it seems not many other devices are affected.

• Well, luckily for Tado the iOS 15 adoption rate is pretty slow. And only a small portion of Tado users might also be Apple HomeKit users apart from the fact that smart home still is at a beginnen stage and not that common. additionally Tado is just the ne of many manufacturers of smart home equipment and probably mostly present at the European market. So it’s not that surprising that the issue is not spread any wider over the Internet than this forum.

As far as what could have changed: I think they could have changed how bridges need to communicate with HomeKit since the Eve devices which directly communicate with HomeKit are working flawlessly.

This bug might not be trivial to find and solve but I presume there will be firmware update for Tado’s Internet Bridge that addresses this issue.
  • MichielTado
    Options

IOS 15 adoption rate is now around 70%. I would assume that if it were an IOS 15 issue I would find by now other reports from other brands having this syncing issue. And I could not find it besides a few reports on Hue that had syncing issues with 15.0, which I also noticed but are resolved now.

But I agree, the fix should come from Tado. The same as for my Smart ACs, where Tado points to IOS 15.2 specific, while having a different issue than the non-syncing, just not responding in the homekit app. If the Smart AC is visible in Homekit it syncs its temperature fine.

• Squuiid
    Options

Try running a ping to your internet bridge and see if it is dropping packets. While I had assumed the issue was with HomeKit it actually wasn't.

It seems as though there is a larger problem with Tado Internet Bridge reliability at the moment. Probably a firmware update they pushed.

See if a ping to your Tado bridge drops packets or not. Mine is a horror show currently. And I'm far from alone on this. Poor connectivity like this will obviously have an impact on HomeKit.

PING 192.168.111.110 (192.168.111.110): 56 data bytes

Request timeout for icmp_seq 0

Request timeout for icmp_seq 1

Request timeout for icmp_seq 2

Request timeout for icmp_seq 3

64 bytes from 192.168.111.110: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=8.854 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.111.110: icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=8.188 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.111.110: icmp_seq=6 ttl=64 time=7.978 ms

Request timeout for icmp_seq 7

64 bytes from 192.168.111.110: icmp_seq=8 ttl=64 time=6.598 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.111.110: icmp_seq=9 ttl=64 time=1.461 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.111.110: icmp_seq=10 ttl=64 time=5.408 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.111.110: icmp_seq=11 ttl=64 time=5.022 ms

Request timeout for icmp_seq 12

Request timeout for icmp_seq 13

64 bytes from 192.168.111.110: icmp_seq=14 ttl=64 time=4.075 ms

• dennisb
    dennisb
    edited January 2022
    Options

@Squuiid I noticed this as well but already for months, my switch says the internet bridge of Tado is sending out a lot of bad data packets onto my local network (11266 CRC error packets in a couple of months). Any switch receiving these packets from the Tado internet-bridge will terminate them (that's how the network-stack is specified and how switches work). Therefore it's not a big deal, however it shows the budget they were on while making their solution network ready.

Because I already noticed this was the behaviour of the Tado internet-bridge hardware, and the native HomeKit integration worked properly, It let's me conclude it's an issue with HomeKit integration itself.

I cannot stress this enough: Running non-native HomeKit via Homebridge.io with plugin: homebridge-tado-platform v6.0.14 works perfectly!

• Squuiid
    Options

@dennisb Thanks for the reply. Hopefully that is the case. We'll see when iOS, tvOS, iPadOS, etc drops 15.3 tonight, or tomorrow. Supposedly it has a lot of HomeKit fixes according to some of those running the betas.

I've never come across such appalling network equipment however. The LAN port in the Tado Bridge is utter garbage. I can't imagine that this would have zero impact on functionality.

• Xxtreem
    Xxtreem
    edited January 2022
    Options

ping test to my tado bridge. 17% lost is not that great:

--- 192.168.0.174 ping statistics ---

34 packets transmitted, 28 packets received, 17.6% packet loss.

---

Can someone from Tado please respond to this Thread so we can get an update if you are aware of this problem?

• Squuiid
    Options

One should see 0% packet loss.

Anything other than zero is unacceptable and shows a connectivity issue.

• dennisb
    Options

For shits and giggles, my list of ping ICMP responses from the internet-bridge is listed below.

I agree with @Squuiid there should be zero loss.

Did you guys notice the device is only capable of 10Mbit/s half-duplex?

**$ ping 192.168.1.XYZ

PING 192.168.1.188 (192.168.1.188): 56 data bytes

64 bytes from 192.168.1.XYZ: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=18.412 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.XYZ: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=18.145 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.XYZ: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=18.440 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.XYZ: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=13.165 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.XYZ: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=6.529 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.XYZ: icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=9.240 ms

Request timeout for icmp_seq 6

64 bytes from 192.168.1.XYZ: icmp_seq=7 ttl=64 time=3.842 ms

Request timeout for icmp_seq 8

64 bytes from 192.168.1.XYZ: icmp_seq=9 ttl=64 time=8.477 ms

Request timeout for icmp_seq 10

64 bytes from 192.168.1.XYZ: icmp_seq=11 ttl=64 time=7.218 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.XYZ: icmp_seq=12 ttl=64 time=4.125 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.XYZ: icmp_seq=13 ttl=64 time=8.437 ms

Request timeout for icmp_seq 14

64 bytes from 192.168.1.XYZ: icmp_seq=15 ttl=64 time=10.337 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.XYZ: icmp_seq=16 ttl=64 time=8.098 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.XYZ: icmp_seq=17 ttl=64 time=506.537 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.XYZ: icmp_seq=18 ttl=64 time=10.848 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.XYZ: icmp_seq=19 ttl=64 time=4.495 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.XYZ: icmp_seq=20 ttl=64 time=11.508 ms

Request timeout for icmp_seq 21

64 bytes from 192.168.1.XYZ: icmp_seq=22 ttl=64 time=10.654 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.XYZ: icmp_seq=23 ttl=64 time=7.807 ms

• Squuiid
    Squuiid
    edited January 2022
    Options

"Did you guys notice the device is only capable of 10Mbit/s half-duplex?"

Yeah, laughable. I really could not believe it and have not encountered such a device since the early 90s.

It has been more or less obsolete for decades, yet Tado seemed to think that was ok. It won't even negotiate in a 10Gb switch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_over_twisted_pair

• Well, while others move to Thread and Matter as the new standard in smart device communication Tado is traveling back in time to show us how crappy things were back then.
  • Paul28799
    Paul28799
    edited January 2022
    Options

Have a similar experience here too, have been for sometime now, spoke to Tado, they stated it’s not their bridge but an Apple Homekit issue as the Tado app is controlling the heating perfectly but at odd times intermittently things either become unresponsive in Homekit or indeed Tado does it’s job to start to stop the heating but Homekit either shows nothing happening or fails to show the same action ie on or off as per the Tado schedules set.

Rebooting the bridge helps but it will happen again which is my normal experience.

Tried three routers, resets of Homekit on bridge, erasing home and devices and setup from scratch but still a connectivity/synch issue seems to persist at various intermittent times. Spoke to Apple again today as it happened today at 6am , Tado started as per schedule but Homekit showed nothing happening.

Waiting to hear back as I have used Tado with Homekit for at least 3 years without issue until IOS15 was introduced. Currently have disabled private wifi button on devices to see if this helps as read on Reddit that this can cause connectivity issues with HomePods/Mini on home networks as mine are used as the hubs with two iPads recently enabled to see if this helps.

At least now I now it’s not just my setup, thanks to the group for posting their experiences.

Although not Tado related but I am also having issues with a ArcRio electric fire/heater Homekit enabled unit that loses connectivity with HomeKit constantly, the router Eero Pro 6 shows the device as connected constantly but not Homekit? Which is why I think it’s an ios15 issue as this device worked flawlessly last year before ios15.

• MichielTado
    Options

"Did you guys notice the device is only capable of 10Mbit/s half-duplex?"

Yeah, laughable. I really could not believe it and have not encountered such a device since the early 90s.

It has been more or less obsolete for decades, yet Tado seemed to think that was ok. It won't even negotiate in a 10Gb switch.

It says something about Tado that they are willing to use old legacy hardware such as 10Mbit/s half-duplex ethernet to save at most a few cents in the bill of materials, and risk potential multicast issues, or incompatibility with modern devices not supporting 10base-t.

• Squuiid
    Options

@MichielTado Well put!

• mw2
    Options
    Was just about to buy the starter kit incl. Hot water... but these homekit problems worry me. I see thread / matter mentioned here a lot. Are there already any products with these standards (Sorry if the answer is obvious)
  • Have a look at EVE’s products if you’re looking for Thread/Matter support.
  • Espiox
    Options
    I’m not sure what changed (iOS 15.3 maybe?) but things seem to be working again all of a sudden.
  • dennisb
    dennisb
    edited January 2022
    Options

@objective_cesar My decision to go with Tado is purely based on the aesthetics of the thermostat. I like the white no bezel design. Besides the iOS15 issues, I think it's a well enough designed product (apart from the poort internet-bridge hardware) that suites my needs.

PS. I am running Homebridge.io for the time being, until the issues are resolved with native support. That could be an option too.

• mw2
    mw2
    edited January 2022
    Options
    @dennisb I was also looking at homebridge eg on raspberrypi 3b. Have you experience of using it with the extension kit for HW etc.
    The other thought is that if the homekit standard has changed somehow for 15.xx wouldn't homebridge adopt the change too?
  • Xxtreem
    Options

I have updated to IOS 15.3 and restarted the bridge. It worked for a few Days and now its broken again. So no changes :(

• dennisb
    dennisb
    edited January 2022
    Options

@Xxtreem Thanks for giving us this update. Too bad it's not working.

I am running: Homebridge Raspbian v1.0.6 on a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B Rev 1.1 (I still had laying around), if you want to homebrew it yourself you can check this link for instructions: https://homebridge.io/raspberry-pi-image

And the Tado homebridge.io plugin: homebridge-tado-platform v6.0.14

I had to tweak the config for my specific setup, which is pretty straightforward.

PS. you can run these two integrations with HomeKit in paralel. So no need to remove the native HomeKit integration of Tado before trying homebridge.

• Xxtreem
    Options

@dennisb Thank you! I will check it out.

• MichielTado
    Options

@dennisb are you saying you control Tado in the Apple Home app via Homebridge? So Homebridge connects to Tado via the Tado api, and the Home app connects to Homebridge? I have never used Homebridge so I would like to understand :-).

I do not have a raspberry pi, and my Synology NAS is too old to support docker. Otherwise I would have tried it on my Smart AC.

• dennisb
    Options

@MichielTado Homebridge registers to the Apple HomeKit like any accessory would, via the HomeKit code. In Homebridge you can install plugins for various network enabled devices you want to control (like Tado), which are then exposed to HomeKit. In essence it's an intermediary between HomeKit and any network enabled device.

I'll give you a quick example of my setup (part of it for simplicity):

HomeKit <=> Homebridge <=> Tado

HomeKit <=> Homebridge <=> Dyson

HomeKit <=> Philips Hue

In my case I have linked the Philips Hue bridge directly to HomeKit because it's rock-solid and always works (kudos Philips!), Tado thermostat, and Dyson (I have one of those HEPA filtered ventilators with an app, but no HomeKit control).

The plugins have configs, you can tweak to your needs and specific devices. My central heating, for example, has a built in hot-water-boiler with controls which you need to tell the Tado plugin with Homebridge about. These plugins will basically control what accessories will shown in HomeKit via Homebridge.