Tado and HomeKit not syncing

Options
124»

Comments

• dennisb
    dennisb
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I am very happy Tado is finally acknowledging there is a problem! I would like to help solve any issue, but It will offset the system I am using at the moment.

Not to put more fuel on the fire. But they reason there will not be any solution soon is bit worrying as they are Apple HomeKit certified. Would mean Apple will give them a fine for not honoring the certification?
  • Having previously only used the HomePod as our home hub, we have been able to use our Apple TV again as well. Tado and HomeKit are no longer in sync so I believe the suspicion that it is to do with the Apple TV is correct.

However, I'm very disappointed there isn't going to be a fix found for it. I could even live with it if we could use one or the other to reliably control the system. However, the other day I turned all heating off in tado, only for Home to pump the radiators right up.

• michaelamherst
    edited March 2022
    Options

[Posted in error. Deleted]

• andyblac
    andyblac ✭✭✭
    Options

@michaelamherst I would not recommend using a AppleTV as a hub, they cause nothing but issues in HomeKit, I have all mine to Hub Disabled.

• dennisb
    Options

@andyblac thanks for sharing your experience. Are you referring to Tado with Apple TV or do you have issues with other manufacturers as well?

• MichielTado
    Options

@andyblac Do you have any proof that “Apple TV causes nothing but trouble in Homekit”? It is simply not true, why do you make such nonsense claim?

• andyblac
    andyblac ✭✭✭
    Options

@dennisb @MichielTado It's just my personal and friends experience, plus working with dev's that produce HomeKit accessories, as soon as an AppleTV is brought into the equation, the reliability of HomeKit is reduced quite considerably. Personally I have no issues with Tado˚ not syncing with HomeKit. The main issue is due to HomeKit itself, if you return to the Home app, HomeKit accessories are not updated, you have to force quit the Home app, and relaunch, this is an issue that lots of people have reported to Apple, but with no repose yet.

• MichielTado
    Options

@andyblac So you say you have personal experience with homekit not syncing with other devices because of Apple TV issues, but personally also have no issues with Tado not syncing? And a sentence later you say it is a generic issue with homekit and/or the home app because friends, devs and lots of people say so?

I am convinced :-).

• andyblac
    andyblac ✭✭✭
    Options

@MichielTado As I said I have turned off my AppleTV's (4 of them) as a hubs, so I have no issues with HomeKit devices not syncing, including Tado˚. I have worked with dev's that do accessories for HomeKit, and when AppleTV is brought into the mix things go awry, we have even reported it to Apple HomeKit Dev's over a year go. So take it or leave it, I don't care as it does not effect me, I was only trying to offer some advise of things to try to help with Tado˚ not syncing for some users here.

• SomeGuy
    SomeGuy
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Issue solved for me.

I have many smart accessories (approx 50), primarily Tado heating and Philips Hue lighting.

A couple of years ago after buying a bunch of new lights and the Tado Heating accessories I noticed the ‘not accessible’ issues. As all my hubs/router were crammed behind the tv I decided to locate them in various locations around the house (I have a mesh network and each hub has an Ethernet port - I also have Ethernet ports in a couple of walls/rooms). This solved the problem and everything ran smoothly for a couple of years.

Recently, I consolidated a lot of my smart hubs back into a cabinet (with an Ethernet hub). Straight away I started noticing the ‘not accessible’ issue for various Tado radiator thermostats, and on closer inspection, that the Tado app and the home app were not in sync, and control was unreliable primarily with the home app / Siri.

Remembering my original issue (from two years ago), I removed the Tado internet bridge from the cabinet and connected it to an Ethernet port about 3 m away. The situation improved, but was not resolved. So, I positioned the Tado bridge in the diagonal opposite part of my house to the Philips hub. Problem instantly solved.

I think the Tado internet hub is susceptible, or causes, interference with/from Philips Hue hub (and presumably similar hubs).

Other things that might have caused issues. 1: Plugging the Tado bridge into my routers USB port for power, this caused problems. 2: I used a different USB charger (than the one that come in the box), which coincided with issues (maybe by coincidence).

So, position the Tado Internet Bridge as far away from potential interference as possible (not always easy given it needs Ethernet) and use the original USB adapter. It would be interesting to hear if this works for anybody else.

I guess you could also try turning off potential sources of interference to see if this helps.
  • dennisb
    Options
    @SomeGuy thanks for your tips.

I am afraid this thread is not really reporting the same issue you are describing however.

This thread is not about connectivity issues with HomeKit, but wrong sync values between Tado and HomeKit.
  • SomeGuy
    SomeGuy
    edited May 2022
    Options
    I am talking about wrong sync values (and the ‘non responding’ issue). From my experience, they’re linked. For example, I’d notice the not responding issue, go into the Tado app, change the temperature, but it wouldn’t change in home, then all the values in home would be different to the Tado app, then I wouldn’t be able to control the heating with the home app, or if I did, it wouldn’t match the Tado app. For me, this was caused by interference from my Philips Hue hub (as far as I can tell - separating them by distance fix it)
  • TimmyMac
    Options
    Been giving this some thought and I’m thinking if the devs at Tado are saying it’s an issue with Apple, I gotta think that’s a bit inaccurate. I’ve successfully connected my tado system to HomeKit via Hoobs and it works sweet, stays in sync and from what I can tell, exposes more control than adding tado directly. If it can work within the confines of hoobs, then why not HomeKit? Makes no sense…feels like I’ve spent a decent wedge on pretty expensive thermostats and radiator valves for something that looks pretty but does not work as intended.

I’m thinking the fact that you can add it via the bar code to HomeKit should not be the only criteria that gives you that “Made for Homekit” sticker - the thing should actually work in homekit.

Feel like pretty much everyone here (myself included) have been sold a bill of false goods.

Bad form!

I’ll be staying away from anything with a tado logo from here on in! This is wholly unprofessional and you’re still charging over the odds for a system that don’t work right in homekit!
  • dennisb
    Options
    @TimmyMac Mine is already working via homebridge.io without any issue since Nov-2021.

Perhaps its an idea for people like @SomeGuy to read the entire thread before posting?
  • SomeGuy
    SomeGuy
    edited May 2022
    Options
    @dennisb I did read the whole post when trying to solve my Tado sync issue. Nothing on here helped. But I managed to solve the problem (as described in my posts). So I posted my experience to help people.

For those of you here looking for help with the sync issue. Try separating your Tado internet bridge from other hubs. It was interference from the Philips Hue hub that cause my TadoApp/HomeApp sync issue.
  • jrich
    Options

Hi all,

Did everyone’s issues with this just go away or did everyone just get fed up of complaining with no resolution in sight from Tado?

I have just “Upgraded” to all Tado SRV but am finding the Tado app is not following changes made to these in Homekit. I’m either finding that turning on a radiator leaves the room in frost protection, or if it enables the heating it leaves the temperature set to 5 degrees in the Tado app, and hence the radiator (or boiler) do not come on. All the SRVs are on 95.1 firmware now and I have power cycled the hub but some radiators seem to not be passing on their state set in Homekit to Tado. This is very frustrating when three radiators say “heating to 18” in Home but actually two of them are off in the home app.

Just wondered if this has been fixed whether any user action was required or if I have a different issue going on if nobody else has any more issues?

Thanks.

• Flyer007
    Options

No problem has not disappeared unfortunately. I am on IOS 16.2, all firmware and apps are up to date but Homekit and Taco are not syncing. But it is a one-way problem in my case: if I change the temperature in Homekit, Tado changes. But the other way around looks like Homekit is just ignoring Tado.

This is for normal use it is not an issue because the Tado app is more convenient than the Home app. But I use temperature and humidity values is some of my Homekit Automations but those values are not syncing either.

• Balgam
    Options

I was desperately looking for a solution because I have some DIY ventilations and they had to be run through Homekit. And, I chose tado over other brands because of Homekit support but after a couple of days of working following the purchase, it stopped working. I was trying different things but could not succeed.

Then, I saw this comment and I have a similar scenario with ~50 devices connected through 4 different bridges. I just separated tado from the rest and put it in a different place and it was suddenly solved! (at least for 5 minutes now).

As SomeGuy mentioned too, I think it interferes with other bridges (using Zigbee again) so that it's lost among other signals.

It's time for me to leave this thread now :) Good luck all on your adventurous journey!