Wired Thermostat as Zone Controller for Radiator

Options

Hi Tado experts!

Does anyone have Wired Thermostat successfully acting as Zone Controller for Radiator valve in another room?

When I configure this way the 2 thermostats seem to conflict, with the thermostat coming on and off even though radiator is still meant to be heating.

I had to get Tado support to make the wired thermostat available as a controller. It had disappeared after adding a wireless receiver (which is just used for hot water control, not the same zone).

Even when I add the thermostat to be the zone controller in the app, it seems to lock up with the device becoming unresponsive and needing a reboot (10 sec press).

I installed everything per the app. Thermostat is working fine when acting independently.

Thanks for any clues. I'm not getting much help from support so far. Now they asked for photos.

Answers

• Hi,

Sounds like the device may have an actual fault.

Are your wired stat and wireless receiver controlling two different boilers or pumps? I have a system (no H/W control) that has the wireless extension on the combi boiler as the primary Zone Controller and a wired stat controlling a second different zone. the second zone though is just a pump so my wired stat calls up to the extension kit as its zone controller so it can request heat.

Gabriel

• Actually my wired stat isn't marked as a zone controller just a standard stat so it isn't comparable (sorry)

• Matticulas
    edited November 2022
    Options

I know this is an old thread but I came upon this issue myself and managed to get it resolved - I hope this helps someone else.

I had a wired thermostat and also smart radiator valves and it was all working perfect i.e. the wired thermostat was acting as a zone controller (operating the port valve and firing the boiler up) whenever the radiators demanded more heat.

...Then, when I added a wireless thermostat for the underfloor heating, things went wrong...

The rooms for the radiators valves immediately got assigned the new wireless receiver as their zone controller. In the app I only seemed to have the options to have them assigned to the new wireless receiver or have them unassigned. Neither of these options were any good - I needed the original wired thermostat to act as their zone controller.

I spent hours in the app checking the config and also removing/re-adding devices to see if I could get it reconfigured correctly but I could not get it setup how I wanted.

I phoned the professional installer hotline (I am an electrician) and they were able to make this configuration for me immediately. Now in the app the wired thermostat is showing up as a zone controller.

At the time of writing, you can't make this configuration in the app yourself initially, you need to get assistance from tado to resolve this for you.

• Hi. I like you @Matticulas I had to get Tado support to allow me to select the controller I needed. This had actually been done before my post above. The issue probably wasn’t explained very well by me.

What I was missing was that although I had assigned the controller to room with the rad, I hadn’t assigned it to the room the controller was already in. You’d think that just telling one to pair with other would establish this lol

I lost weeks, lots of emails exchanged. Tado resetting their end, rinse, repeat. Lessons learned were that Tado app is crap - no clues on the available functionality or how to achieve it.

To be fair support did come good in end, probably after checking with engineering and all my logs.

The locking up was separate issue and went away at some point. Can’t remember when exactly. Maybe a firmware update.

Cheers