New Wireless Receiver does not have Bus terminals

Options

I am trying to install the Tado system to control my Betacom 4 combi boiler. One reason I purchased the Tado system is that it can modulate heating and hot water when connected to eBus. It seems that I have a new version of the receiver as it does not have any Bus terminals, and I can find no instructions on how to wire it.

Anyone know if this can be used with eBus, and if so how is it wired?

Here is a picture of the receiver.

Thanks.

Comments

• GrilledCheese2
    Options

That is a UK variant of the wireless receiver that does not support digital buses such as EBUS. The EU variant does have terminals for EBUS, but does not have support for Hot Water control.

You need to use its predecessor the Extension Kit, which you’ll probably have to source second hand from eBay. Alternatively you import the EU version, but I have no idea if Tado will support a device in the app which is not sold in the region.

I wish Tado would make it clear on their website that the new version of this hardware is different in the UK.

• GrayDav4276
    Options

@GrilledCheese2

I agree with you that Tado should be "clearer" about the various derivatives of their equipment.

I personally think that Tado should be able to support any/all of their equipment, no matter where their customer sources it or uses it..........after all, I'm led to believe that our systems can be individually "tweeked/adjusted" on Tado's servers......or have I got that wrong ??🤔

• @GrilledCheese2

Thank you for your information. This is not the news that I wanted to hear and I don’t understand why the EU should be different to the UK. I have already raised a support request with Tado, who say they need 2 business days to reply! Let’s see what they say.

• Bob53
    Options
    Hello,

I am going through the same problem at the moment, waiting for tado to get back to me about how to connect my receiver to the boiler. I have the UK version as well and the same boiler as you. I would really appreciate it if you could help me with how to connect the receiver. As far as I can see, it's between potential free or switched Live. Permanent live and neutral, I understand, the rest I don't!

Regards
    Bob.
  • Floob
    Options

For reference, here is a pic of the EU version of the wireless receiver (starter kit) Tado shipped to me in the UK

• Bob53
    Options

Hello,

Do a swap with masterlink, that's the one he wanted. It looks like you have a separate power cable! I read in one post you are better to take the power from the boiler instead off a separate supply for your receiver. It mentioned this was not advisable just encase you switch one off and not the other.

I'm sorry I cant remember the post, I would have given you a link to it.

Regard Bob.

• Floob
    Options

I'm keeping this one - I ordered it so it would support Opentherm with the Viessmann 100-W.

Just need to sort the power, but I think the electrician can sort that one way or another.

• Bob53
    Options

Yes I don't blame you, it gives that option. I don't understand why they cant just supply the EU version to everyone and put both types of cable in the boxes. After all they charge enough I'm still waiting on Tado getting back to me with wiring instructions.

Hope you get yours up and running soon.

Regards Bob.

• Floob
    Options

I was hoping that the installer will just follow the 'English international' "Wireless Smart Thermostat Manual" here:

and I'll run through the boiler specific instructions on the app whilst they do that. I'm hoping thats all I need.

What sort of wiring instructions do you need from Tado?

• Bob53
    Bob53
    edited February 2022
    Options
    I have the same reciever as " "masterlink" the person who opened this post, I also have the same boiler. I was hoping he could give me the wiring instructions, to save me waiting on Tado Support getting back to me.
    Bob.
  • Hi Bob53

Sorry for the slow reply, but I didn't get any alerts.

This pic shows the tado wireless receiver. I connected live and neutral from the boiler to the supply terminals (N and L). Note the purple wire bridge from L to CH COM. Finally see the black wire connected to CH NO. Ignore the green sheath cable as that's for a light in the attic.

At the boiler connector I connected the black wire from CH NO to the RT connector.

You should ensure that the boiler pump mode (d.18) is changed from Eco (intermittent pump operation) to Comfort (continuous pump operation).

This then allows the tado system to control the boiler, with a simple on or off (that's why I wanted the Bus version to allow control of water temperature and flow). Having used it for a 6 weeks it does seem to provide some form of heating control. I see from the graph in the app that it sometimes has 3 flame symbols and when near to set temperature this changes to 2 or even 1, than none when it has reached set temperature. Overall, I'm happy with the performance. It does maintain the temperature in a +/- 1 degree C range.

I hope this helps🙂

• Bob53
    Options
    Hi MasterLink,
    No need to apologise. I got a reply from Tado yesterday and that's the same as you wired yours.They never mentioned changing the pump from eco mode, so I'll go and do that now.
    Thanks very much for your help,
    Bob.
  • @MasterLink I installed my wiring as you've laid out but there must have been an issue as it blew my PCB in the boiler, and it was different to what Tado told me to do (which came after i'd tried your method).

Any idea why this may have happened? am I supposed to keep the link in in the burner terminals?

And for the supply to the wireless extension, did you take it from the 230v supply to the boiler? or the +- terminals on the ebus?

• Hi Brades1990, the 220v positive and neutral wires go to the wireless extension and I then looped them to the positive and neutral in the boiler. I have the Betacom 4 combi boiler. There are no ebus terminals in my wireless extension (see my picture earlier in this post). What boiler do you have?