TRVs on all radiators?

Options

Hi

We have a 4 story new build house with UFH (2 Zones) in the lower ground floor and a zone per floor in the rest of the house.  Each ‘floor zone’ has its own Digistat +3 thermostat in a room where one of the radiators does not have a TRV all the other radiators do have TRVs. The bathroom/cloakroom/ensuite towel rails have their own circuit and each has a TRV.

The lower ground floor UFH works fine but the set up in the rest of the house does not work well at all!  For example the first floor has 2 bedrooms and the temperature in the master is effectively governed by the temperature of the second bedroom, which is not currently being used, as this is where the thermostat has been placed.

Ideally I would like to have individual control of each room, i.e. a Tado smart TRV on each radiator but I have been told by the developer that would break building regs.  Is this true and if so is there another way of achieving the same outcome?

Regards

Barry

Comments

• GrilledCheese2
    Options

The UK regulations state that all radiators have a TRV except if the room has a wall thermostat. The reason for this is the TRV and wall thermostat will compete with each to control the temperature in the room. However, you can put Tado TRVs and wall thermostats in the same room providing you group them together. The wall thermostat will be the only temperature sensor in the room and the TRV is reduced to being a simple on/off valve. When the TRV is off the wall thermostat will continue to act as the zone controller for the other TRVs.

The Tado bridge/hub has a limited range and can be unreliable in larger properties. You may want to check coverage before purchasing all the TRVs that you need.

• BarryW
    Options

Hi GrilledCheese2

Thanks for your reply.

The rooms with wall thermostats have 2 radiators installed, currently one has a TRV and the other does not. Would it be possible to create a group of 2 x Tado TRVs & the wall mounted thermostat? Alternatively if every radiator in the house had a smart TRV could we get rid of the room thermostats?

Thanks for the heads up Lethe range of the bridge/hub, I'll look into it.

Regards

Barry

• GrilledCheese2
    Options

You can have up to 6 TRVs and a wall thermostat in a single group/room.

You cannot do away with the wall thermostats because the are acting as the zone controller for each heating circuit. The wall the thermostats are wired into a central wiring centre which controls the motorised valves and switches on the boiler.

• BarryW
    Options

Hi

Thanks for the clarification but surely this leaves me with the original problem that the room with the wall thermostat, Bedroom 2, will always have to be a higher temperature than the Master bedroom that is on the same circuit?

Is this normal because it seems like a fundamental flaw has been made in the placement of the wall thermostat?

Regards

Barry

• hugbilly
    Options

The Tado TRVs call for heat themselves via the zone controller which in the case of my system is a Wireless Receiver. Thus the boiler will fire and the pump will run regardless of the wall stat. in another room which, in the case of my system again, is a Wireless Temperature Sensor.

• GrilledCheese2
    Options

@BarryW providing all radiators in both bedrooms have a smart TRV you will have independent control of the temperature in both.

• BarryW
    Options

Hi Both

Thanks for the further clarification and I think I've got my head around it now.

All the best

Barry