Cold floor v. Thermostats

Options
Hi there. I live in a cold ground floor apartment which is not well insulated due to 'over' ventilation in the basement which cools my floors. I have Tado thermostats installed on all my radiators but it seems that in some areas they close down before they can spread the heat in the room even though in the app they have reached the desired temperature/even more so pretty quickly. I have a feeling that if the thermostat was further from the radiators the temperature reading and thus the functioning of Tado would be more accurate and warm my apartment for longer. Basically I have to overshoot quite a lot to really feel the room temperature rise and stay that way for a while before radiators start reheating. Is there and easy way/another product or a 'hack' I can employ? With regular danfoss thermostats you can get socalled 'feelers' placed some distance from the radiator which will help you avoid the radiator ending its heating cycle before reaching the desired temperature setting 1-5. Thanks

Best Answer

Answers

• Alvin
    Options
    Thank you very much. What does TRV stand for ? You mean pair them in the app with the thermostats themselves or the 'rooms created in the app where the radiators are placed. The app will automatically take over the temperature of the radiators in the room/s where it's placed?
    I have one room that's interconnected/removed a door so de facto it's one room with 3 radiators, 2 in one end and 1 in another all by windows at two extremes. The distance is like 7-8 meters in a straight line between them. Should I create one room instead of two and place all three radiators in it. The actual temperature sensor would then go in between the rooms or should I still get two?
  • GrilledCheese2
    GrilledCheese2 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Options

TRV = thermostatic radiator valve.

I referred to pairing as using the app to put the temperature sensor in the same room as the TRV.

If the temperature in your combined rooms is fairly even then I would place a single temperature sensor in the middle of the room and group all devices in a single room on the app. However, if one end of the room is usually hotter than the other then you may benefit from using two temperature sensors and defining two rooms in the app.

• Alvin
    Options
    Alright thank you. I'll do some testing
  • Alvin
    Options

Hi again

Is the product I'm looking for called?

Tado° Wireless Temperature Sensor

Would you happen to know the difference if any between the newest model and the "so-called" refurbished versions?

How far from the radiators would you suggest I place it/hang it? As mentioned I have two rooms, one living room and one kitchen/dining area which are connected by an opening in a wall where there used to be a door.

I've added a picture of the two connected areas.

The red lines delimit the room and the yellow lines are the radiators.

The living room with two radiators is about 3,5m x 3,5m and the other rooms is probably similar but shaped differently.

If I had to guess a good placement would be somewhere in the middle between them?

The two radiators get warm very fast but as mentioned the heat rarely spread much before the radiators reach the desired temperature.

Any tips are welcome.

Thanks

• GrilledCheese2
    Options

Yes, it’s the Tado° Wireless Temperature Sensor that you require. I believe the refurbished devices are customer returns, therefore packaging is previously opened. The actual device should be the same version as a new one.

Placement should be in the middle, avoiding drafts from windows and doors. And avoid heat from electrical appliances.

• Alvin
    Options

Thanks for the answer. You mean in the middle (center) of the room or in the middle, the center between both rooms, like where the door use to be connecting the rooms or just more or less in the middle?

• GrilledCheese2
    Options

I mean in the centre between the two rooms. Probably not possible to mount it on the old door frame, so you’ll have to choose a room and mount it on the wall adjacent to the door. Most manufacturers recommend a height 1.5m above the floor.

• Alvin
    Options
    Ok makes sense. Does it any way make sense to place it mounted or unmounted on a wall close to an area such as a seating area like my couch or dinner table? The kitchen/dinning area has only one radiator so maybe it makes more sense to place it in this room as it's colder here.