Switching on boiler when TRVs need heat?

Options
Hi,

I've just installed a bridge and 4 Tado TRVs which seem to work very well. However, there's one problem - I've still got the old "dumb" house thermostat, and if that turns off the boiler then the radiators with the smart TRVs obviously won't get hot as they can't turn the boiler on!

Am I right in thinking the Tado wireless thermostat/extension thing will fix this by giving the TRVs a way to switch on the boiler if they need heat? In other words, will a demand for heat from one of the TRVs switch the boiler on even if the main house thermostat has turned it off?

Many thanks,
Tim

Comments

• Simply, yes. I was in your situation and was impressed with the setup so I took the plunge and bought the proper system and wired it into my boiler. This bypasses the existing thermostat. You configure one of the thermostats in each room to be the one that can turn the boiler on or off as heat is requested.
  • Tj80
    Options
    Excellent, thanks. Just ordered a factory refurbished wireless thermostat kit for £99 which seems like a good price. Shame I'll end up with two Internet bridges, though!

Cheers,
    Tim
  • No problem. It’s all or nothing though, I completely removed my existing thermostat, Tado now manages the heating in the whole house. Old thermostat decommissioned. For convenience I bought a wireless room thermostat that goes on the wall in the lounge but generally only use the app to control the heating.