Tado heating the room to 29+

Options
I was under the impression Tado could turn off when it hits the required temperature but since moving house it's been all kinds of wonky.

Today the TRV in the living room hit 29 (currently down to 25) and it should cut off at 20?

Yesterday afternoon I came home and I could feel the radiators were on low but I was two hours early for the schedule time so had to shut the whole system down.

A week ago the whole house was up to 25+

Any thoughts on why this is happening?
I have just checked the smart valve and it did wobble which is odd, so I've fully re tightened that.

Its only about 8ft from the wired thermostat or maybe 10ft to the little bridge so the connection must be fine.

I've never had much luck with the valves working properly and the previous owner has hard wired the thermometer into the hallway..not the living room making it impossible to move easily.

I also can't work out how to upload images on this forum!

Answers

• cbd20
    cbd20 ✭✭✭
    Options
    @Johnlenham sounds like there may be a couple of things going on here which are working together to cause the issues you're seeing...

Firstly, the smart radiator thermostat (SRT) in the lounge sounds like it's not able to shut the valve completely so is letting hot water through when it shouldn't. I would remove it completely, remove the batteries for a minimum of 10 seconds, then replace them and wait a further minute before refitting to the radiator. This will force a recalibration, which should hopefully rectify that problem.

Secondly, if that SRT wasn't calling for heat then another device must've been, and it sounds like you weren't expecting that. You need to look at each room in the app and inspect the graphs to find out which room was requesting heat. Long pressing on the graphs will bring up additional information which may provide a clue.

The other thing to check is if you have Early Start enabled on the smart schedule for any rooms as this will potentially cause the heating to come on much earlier than expected. I've never used this, but from what I've seen on this forum it often comes on far too early...
  • Johnlenham
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Hmm so on inspection, the wired main unit was set to early start and the solo SRT wasn't so I've turned that off on all of them.

That unit seems to get going at 4am to be ready for 6.30.. when that was meant to be when it should get going for me to be up at 7.30
    God that's nearly two months of that 🤢

Well that's one thing sorted

The SRT seems to start an hour later at 5am at 21(!), Thinks it's cold and powers on till it heats the heating zone and just keeps going till it hits 29 at the end of the heating time.

Is that going to be a loose connection to the valve type issue? When I installed it it wouldn't lock the bottom cap in for love nor Money yet when I just went to look at it, it magically clicked and locked fine. Perhaps that's the other issue corrected?

Edit: looking back it's basically done that every day since it was installed on January 8th.
    4am start, powers up to 24/25 by 8 then trails down to 20 for the rest of the day, unless it was Baltic outside where I gets put on again in the evening for abit
  • cbd20
    cbd20 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Just to clarify, when you inspect the graph for the SRT does it think it should be heating? i.e is it showing a shaded blue background for the whole duration of 4am to 8am on the graph? Does long pressing the graph show the wavey line heat request symbols during that same period?

This will tell you whether it thinks it was actively heating or not.
  • Johnlenham
    edited February 2022
    Options
    It shows a blue section from 5 till 6.30 but it's activity heating.

Once it hits orange at 6.30 it's nearly 27 in that room.and continues till 8am.

If I could work out how to upload an image here that would make it clearer!
  • cbd20
    cbd20 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah frustratingly you can only upload a picture from the desktop version of the forum. If you're on an android phone you can request desktop site, via the 3 dots in the top right of chrome and then the image upload button will appear.

My apologies, in terms of the colour I meant the area under the graph rather than across the bottom. If you click the wavey line button on the right it'll shade the area under the graph according to the level of heat request.
  • Oh amazing. Well here we go.

• cbd20
    cbd20 ✭✭✭
    Options

Ok two things to note there:

1. That valve was offline for a lot of the night. There's a large gap in the data. Was that deliberate?

2. There's no heat request shading at all. So that device doesn't think it's heating at all as far as I can tell...

Here's an example from mine:

So you can see the shaded vertical regions show when that SRT was actively requesting heat. The darker the shade, the higher the heat request.

And pressing and holding on the graph shows this:

This shows me that at this point in time what the target was, the room temperature and the heat request. It also shows with the house icon what state this room was in at that point in time. You can drag your finger around and see how it changes.

As yours is showing no shading, it makes me think it's simply getting residual heat from the other device calling for heat. Because it thinks it's shut, but failing to close the radiator off completely it's overheating and it can't do anything about it. I think a recalibration is a good place to start here.

• Johnlenham
    edited February 2022
    Options

Oddly all the previous day's have it's info.

I'm wondering if it was on rather tenuously and I've whacked it somehow and that's caused it to shut off.

The last solution would be to remove it and go back to just the main unit in the hallway, only the hallway one has to work harder to heat up than the living room, so you end up hitting 22/24 in there as the Hallway fights its way to hit 20.

• cbd20
    cbd20 ✭✭✭
    Options
    The graph in the morning would definitely suggest it's receiving heat when it's not expecting to.

Definitely points at a valve pin that it can't depress fully.

I would:

1. Remove the SRT, and remove it's batteries.
    2. Confirm that you can push the valve pin down yourself. Use the face of a coin or something to do it - pushing with your fingers can hurt as they're quite stiff, but it should be moveable!
    3. If all ok, then reinstall the batteries, wait one minute and then reinstall the SRT to force a calibration.
    4. Manually turn the heating in the front room right down - so the valve should be shut.
    5. Manually turn the heating in the hallway up to fire the boiler.
    6. Check that the radiator in the front room doesn't get hot.
  • Johnlenham
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Hey,
    Thanks for the advice.

I've tried all this recently and it still seems to be acting up.

I even removed the valve and put the old one back on and the main one STILL put the rooms above 20 (21.5+)

Just now I totally reinstalled the valve (after following your advice the first time) and contacted support. Perhaps they will have a better idea..