What is pass through radiator? Questions for best set-up

Options

I've just moved to tado from a Netatmo smart thermostat. We have one zone of underfloor heating with a wired thermostat connected to our boiler. Then the radiators are on another zone, with a wireless thermostat in the front room, which often gets cold, and has a radiator without a thermostat on it. I've seen discussions on here regarding best set up with SRT and leaving some radiators as pass through. Can someone explain more? At present I'm considering adding two SRT to my system, one on the radiator in our TV room (behind the front room) that can also get cold, and one in the master bedroom. This would leave the two spare rooms, bathroom, hall and landing radiators without their own smart thermostat and, presumably, running of the wireless thermostat in the front room?

Comments

• JohnWH
    Options

@michaelamherst

The reason for needing at least one pass through radiator is to avoid the water circulation pump pumping against a completely shut off system should all smart radiator thermostats be up to their set temperatures - and hence closed.

Apart from causing potential damage to the pump a closed down system could also lead to localised overheating of the water particularly in the boilers heat exchanger.

Hope this helps?

• davidlyall
    Options

Depending on the age of your property, your system may have a bypass included in the system which should avoid the need for a pass through radiator. My house is 14 years old and has a bypass in the system

If you're not sure, a plumber would be able to look and advise

• michaelamherst
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Thanks so much for these - really helpful.
  • And yes your replies do help. So I’m guessing that in a home with 8 radiators if only 2 have SRTs that should be fine?