Thermostats and TRVs

Options
I have a wireless smart thermostat in my hallway but have installed smart TRVs in a couple of the upstairs bedrooms so that they can be off during the day when empty. I’m intending to do the same in our 2 year olds room but have a query about how that would work with the main thermostat. His room can get quite cold. If his room and the hallway were both set to 20C and the hallway got there first would his room stop heating or would the TRV force the thermostat to continue heating past it’s set temperature?

Comments

• Diggery
    Options
    The TRVs can all call for heat and the hub will then instruct the boiler to fire.

If your hall is at temp then the hall thermostat will shut off the heating.

However if any TRV calls for heat it will fire up the heating again and any rad not fitted with a TRV will get hot.

This is both the beauty and frustration of the system. You need to think about the zoned approach and may need more TRVs fitted, or leave certain doors open to get it to behave how you want.
  • be1t0n
    Options
    Currently there isn’t a smart TRV in the hallway. Best to fit one there also then!
  • davidlyall
    Options

@be1t0n. The answer to that will depend on whether your system has a bypass. It's common for a hall radiator to be open all the time so even if all other TRVs (smart or dumb) are closed, one radiator still has flow to prevent pump/boiler damage.

If you're system has a bypass then you should be safe to install a TRV on that rad too but I would recommend getting professional advice to be sure first

• eezytiger
    Options

@be1t0n

You can configure the SRT in your child's room to either act passively, and only be able to heat when the main thermostat (or another SRT) has fired the boiler, or the SRT can force the boiler to fire to meet its own demands. Same goes for all your Tado SRTs.

You do this by configuring each ROOM to either work with the zone controller (your main thermostat) to ask for heat, or set it to "independent" which means that it does not ask for heat and will just take the heat anyway available, if it needs it.

This is my current setting for the box room. It is set to independent because, while I'd like the chill taken off it, I certainly don't need the boiler to be fired up just to heat one little unused room with the door closed. It can wait until something else is asking for heat too, such as the lounge or bathroom.

In your situation you would do the opposite, so that the SRT in your child's room could command heat whenever it needed it.