Tado ruins my sleep - Too high temp at night and noisy valve / radiator

Gonna try a last ditch attempt here before switching my Tado wireless thermostats back to my analogue Danfoss...

I have been plagued by my thermostat interrupting my sleep for the past months. As far as i can understand, everything is working correctly.

During those extra cold wintery nights, the thermostat which is set to 19c, will turn on pretty much the same time at night (04:20). When it does that, it heats the room too much (22c). I suppose this high amount of heat is so the thermostat does not have to turn on too frequently.

However aside for the the extreme temp, it also results in a rather annoying sound from both the valve and the radiator. The mechanical sound of the motor + the radiator creaking sounds from the metal due to the rapid change in temperature.

I've tried changing the batteries, reset the thermostat, exchange thermostats from one room to the other pr. supports request, even changing from those god awful plastic mounts to solid steel mounts.

Can anyone explain if i can configure something to prevent the Tado thermostat making such an extreme increase at night? Beside the obvious of totally killing the heat at night and becoming an pengiun. 😒

Answers

• @jakk how many radiator thermostats do you have? Maibe the settings for raduator thermostats are not correct and you have some room requesting heat and therefore all the house is heated too much for some areas. If you have radiator thermostats they are set as INDEPENDENT or connected to the main thermostat?

In case of INDEPENDENT setings the respective thermostat will receive heat as long as the boiler fire for heat request in different zones. Maibe you have to check this.

• 19°C overnight seems quite a high setting, although, obviously I don't know your actual specific household requirements.
  • @jakk I agree with @GrayDav4276 that 19°C seems quite high for that time in the morning. If you’re asleep under bedding I don’t think you’ll notice if the room temperature drops to 18°C or lower.

The smart valves have a reputation for being noisy, but the noise volume is largely down to the radiator panel vibrating. You could try to deaden the sound by putting something between the panel and wall to hold the radiator firm and absorb any vibration.

You can also try the following which should improve the noise but may give issues with heat control in the bedroom. Set the bedroom radiator to ‘independent’ so it cannot call for heat. During the night set the temperature fairly high and this will hold the valve open all night. In a room with a similar heat profile to the bedroom schedule the night time temperature of 19°C that you desire. This alternative room will then demand heat from the boiler and your bedroom will get some of that heat too. It’s not ideal, as you are heating an extra room at night, but it may work if you want to heat your bedroom silently during the night.

• Hello, I have 5 thermostats. All set to 19c at night. I live in an apartment (but with our very own electricity, water and heat systems) i don't have readily access to the boiler.

I haven't heard of an independent mode before? What's that?

I'll try to drop the temp to 18c in the bedroom, that way, there should be less chance of it requesting heat in the night.

I already have a panel between the radiator and the wall. It's the metal that creaks from the increased heat, other radiators does it too, but not something that's noticible during the day.

I'll try the other method if setting it to 18c does not help. I have also thought of the same idea of having slightly higher temps on the surrounding rooms, thus allowing for some of that extra heat to slip into the bedroom.
  • GrilledCheese2
    GrilledCheese2 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

Independent mode is where a TRV is not assigned to a zone controller. A zone controller is wired to the heat source and will turn it on and off. Any TRV linked to the zone controller can request the heat source is to turned on/off.

• Just thought I would come back with my results after a couple of days .

Changing to 18c instead seems to do the trick. It's like the Tado thermostat uses an completely different algorithm when set to 18. When set to 18 the temperature spikes was minor, and the noise of the valve adjusting was reduced. I suspect it's working as intended, since having it at 18c shows as green in the app, and 19 as yellow. Diffently some algorithm thing.

Comparing my other thermostats that is set to 19c in the night, they also experience this sudden spike of heat at night, so no an error on the particular thermostat, but again working as intended by the algorithm.

Just wish this was clearly explained somewhere in the guides.

Thank you very much for your feedback!
  • I'll try this, I'm having the same issues

• My issues have gone.

Tightening the valve also helped stop noises.

Al