Smart radiator thermostat - reliability of reading- Help!

Options
I’ve had the wireless starter kit set up for a couple of months now and have just purchased my first smart radiator thermostat (what I hoped would be the first of many). I’ve installed it in my daughters room. I’m after some other peoples experiences really. Now, when the heating is not on the room (measured by a thermometer) and the radiator thermostat measure the same which is great as it suggest the sensors are working. However, as soon as the heating activates the radiator thermostat raises by about 3c in about 10 mins and switched off the valve. Again, great that this works but in that brief 10 minute period the rest of the room hasn’t really warmed at all and won’t as the valve is now closed. Whilst I appreciate that it’s obviously hotter right next to the radiator I assumed (as well as reading somewhere I’m sure!) that the smart radiator thermostat would have some tech to ensure it wasn’t just measuring the temp from right beside the radiator? Is this right? I’ve asked Tado support a couple of times but nobody seems able to answer? In fact, when I ask a few more questions for clarity the answers just stop coming! Do everyone’s radiator thermostats heat up and shut off so quickly? If so, how are you managing to warm your rooms sufficiently? Just looking for some answers before I just go back to my regular TRV’s!

Comments

• PhFe
    Options
    Hi Mark, I've only been using this system a little while, but have you found the setting to offset the smart radiator valve temperature, it may help you out.

Also I thought of blocking the radiator heat from the valve with some insulation if I encountered a similar problem.

The other expensive way is to use a wireless thermostat is the room to control just that one valve.

Regards
  • Heatexpert
    Options

I have had SRTs in all my rooms for a few years now. Yes, the temperature does rise quite steeply, then the SRT shuts off the radiator valve, but after about 30 minutes or so the temperature falls and the valve reopens, and so this goes on through the heating programme. The room temperature eventually stabilises around the level you have set.

I also use a little trick to speed up this process in winter, and that is to split the heating programme into two. Say you want the heating at 21C in the room from 7pm - 11pm, then set two programmes. The first runs at 20C for 60-90 minutes, then the second programme is set to 21C for the rest of the time.

By doing this, the radiator valve reopens more quickly when the new temperature programme begins. Given the radiator is warm by now, the on - off cycle is shorter, so you will feel the heat in the room more quickly.