Potterton boiler and Tado

Options
scgf
scgf ✭✭

I have established that my boiler, a Baxi Potterton Performa 30 HE will only work in relay (on/off) mode.

Looking at the wiring diagram below, which terminals would I connect to the new version of the extension box? Tado won't tell me. When I installed my first Tado system on an older Vaillant boiler I was sent step by step instructions. Now they say they won't give out any information only a professional installer would need.

The instructions I was given for my Vaillant boiler (relay) were:

In the case of the Potterton, my thinking is that live and neutral at the boiler would go to N and L in the extension box and terminal 2 at the boiler would go to terminal 4 on the extension box. I appreciate this is for the original extension kit but I could still buy one of these on Amazon.

If someone could corroborate that my thinking is correct it would put my mind at rest and avoid paying for installation.

Comments

• scgf
    scgf ✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Options

I am utterly shocked that nobody has a clue about this! I am asking about simple on/off control of a boiler. Nothing as esoteric as eBUS or OpenTherm.

I have helped people on this forum and thought I might avail myself of the opportunity to ask for help myself. The response is zero.

Shame on you Tado users! I certainly won't be offering any more help in the future.

• andyblac
    andyblac ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Options

Hi @scgf

Sorry for late reply, just seen this, basically yes,

S-Plan Setup

Boiler NEUTRAL (B) --> Tado N

Boiler 1 --> Tado L

Boiler 2 --> Tado 4

you will also need to change the extension kit jumper to position 2.

or

Dry Contacts

Boiler LIVE (BR) --> Tado L

Boiler NEUTRAL (B) --> Tado N

Boiler 1 --> Tado 1

Boiler 2 --> Tado 4

and leave the extension kit jumper to position 1.

here is the full installers manual it explains it all, https://www.tado.com/start/manuals/st/Extension%20Kit%20Manual%20-%20230V%20Relay%20Installations.pdf

Hope this helps.

• scgf
    scgf ✭✭
    Options

Thank you @andyblac. Your help is most appreciated and means I can confidently do the install myself. You have restored my faith in this community. Shame I can't delete my little hissy-fit post!