Away Mode for Individual Rooms Using Alexa? Energy saving thought.

Options

With the cost of energy rocketing I was wondering if anyone had found a way of turning off individual room heating when no one has been in the room say for 15 minutes.

I have Amazon Echo devices in many rooms and thought it might be possible to link Alexa in some way to detect if there was anyone in the room and if there had been no activity for a set period to turn off that room's heating.

Then when someone entered the room to turn that room's heating back on to the timed schedule.

Does anyone have thoughts on whether this might be possible, and if so how might it be achieved. The energy savings could pay for extra Amazon Echos in a very short space of time.

Any brainwaves out there? 😊

Comments

• GrayDav4276
    Options

Hi @IanTaylor ,

I am an advocate of Alexa with tado° ......I use Alexa to turn on/off room, and adjust temperatures and as a "Boost" feature.

However, to the best of my knowledge there isn't a way to achieve exactly what you are considering, as the Alexa Echo isn't used to determine whether the area around the Echo device is "occupied".

• IanTaylor
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I also use Alexa as you describe to change individual radiator temperatures by voice. I notice that when I enter some rooms my echo seems to wake up so I do believe it responds to human presence. The echo has to be listening all the time so as to respond to the wake word. I guess someone would need to create a specific Alexa Skill to achieve what I am looking for. I would be willing to pay a fee for such a skill as it could save me a lot of money.