5GHz WiFi band

Options
Can anyone please explain why Tado is incompatible with 5GHz band WiFi? Also, does Tado plan to release an internet bridge that is compatible with this frequency? Dual band routers are quite common, so it seems silly that this makes one of those bands redundant.

Comments

• MichielTado
    Options

Most, if not all smarthome devices have very low bandwidth requirements which are easily satisfied by 2.4 GHz wifi. And 2.4 Ghz wifi has a (much) better range than 5 Ghz so the choice is practical and economical. I personally would prefer dual band devices too but I understand why it is rarely happens.

• cbd20
    cbd20 ✭✭✭
    Options
    @Bazkit I think there may be some confusion here...

The Tado AC device uses WiFi. It is this device that only supports 2.4GHz. The Tado AC device therefore doesn't require the internet bridge to operate as it connects directly to your router via WiFi.

However, the Tado heating devices do require the internet bridge. These connect via 6LoWPAN protocol which operates at 868MHz due to its low power consumption (as they're battery operated devices). The internet bridge does not use WiFi (2.4 or 5GHz) at all.