Tado Wiring support

Options

Hi, Just purchased my new Tado kit v3+ and trying to work out the installation as I have an old house with the boiler outside of the house and the current wiring is out of this world.

Could you tell me if my current setup would work with Tado or I'm going to burn it the minute I connect it.

NOTE: the current way is that once the thermostat turned ON it's letting mains power flow to outside socket which turns on the boiler + pump.

OLD:

NEW:

So my new system is an 'S plan' by using 2x "Honeywell V4043H motorized valve", but as you can see the way It connected is that the Zone Valves Orange wire connected to the Live (brown) of boiler Socket.

So my concern is that because I don't have a Switched Live (SL) option in my Boiler to give a signal to turn it on just N+L to give power and it's always On, is that going to cause some overcurrent in TADO or do you think it should be ok ?

Many thanks for your help!

Answers

• TheHun
    TheHun
    edited March 2022
    Options

EDIT1: I did made a mistake a wrongly represented the Live and Neutral from Mains to tado's supply

. Please consider it corrected

• wateroakley
    Options

Presumably you are replacing a typical timer/programmer and room stat? It would help to know the boiler make/model. This is generic guidance ...

Tado will control the motorised valves. The valve motor draws very litte current (amps) through the Tado microswitch. The S-Plan valve motor head contacts provide the 240v Live and amps to run your boiler and pump. The Honeywell motorised valve has a 2.2A inductive load and resistive load limit (for the boiler and pump). Neutral and Earth are always connected, from the 240V power source.

The LNE supply will require a DP isolator switch, with 3A fuse. The double socket arrangement in the outside boiler room is a NO-NO. It could be mistaken for a 13A supply to plug in your power drill, vacuum cleaner, electric heater, whatever. This double socket arrangement must be replaced with fixed wiring to the boiler and pump. You must connect Earth to the boiler/pump terminal and consider the protective equipotential bonding for the gas and CH installation pipework.

For an outside installation you should install a frost stat that will 'call for heat' when the temperature drops in the boiler room to circa 5 deg C and fire up the boiler/system. You could, for example, use another wireless Tado room stat in the boiler room as a 'zone', and set it to 5deg C 24/7 to provide the frost protection function.

If in any doubt, seek advice from a qualified professional.