broadband down for 24 hours - can I get to the bridge onto the internet via my laptop?

Options
Elisabeth
Elisabeth ✭✭
edited March 2022 in General Questions & Topics

My internet is down for the next day. It's currently 3c and the met office has issued a warning of ice and snow tonight.

Is there a way to get to the internet via my laptop? I've hotspotted my phone so the laptop is online and I've plugged the tado bridge into the laptop but it's still flashing offline and it appears to be waiting for a dhcp to be assigned. Is it possible to do it on the laptop?

I've rung the emergency number but that's just voicemail and they'll get back to me via email.

I sent a message via chat but that's another one where they'll get back to me via email...

So.... can any of you lovely people help me. It's getting chilly in here!

(edit: it's just dawned on me that because I plugged the bridge into the laptop with the ethernet connection it thinks it's a broadband connection! - I'm doomed to be cold, aren't I?)

I can't delete this so I'll just add the solution..

Karlo from the emergency support desk got back to me really quickly and here's what to do if you ever find yourself in this situation...

Even if the bridge is out of action, you can use your trvs to trigger the boiler. So the first thing I did was run around turning all the rads on!

Then to hook the bridge onto the internet via my laptop I had to go into my network connection settings and open up the wifi connection and then share it with everything on my network. If it doesn't work, you just connect/disconnect a few times (it took me a couple of goes at it) and then the bridge came online. Unfortunately now the bridge is moved from it's prime spot it's only picking up one trv so I'm going to see if I can find a longer cable so I can pick up more.

Panic over and a big thanks to Karlo for being prompt and giving me a nice easy resolution 😘

Answers