How to control radiators using the Wireless Smart Thermostat instead of the individual SRTs

Options
miked99
miked99
edited March 2022 in General Questions & Topics

Hi. Sorry if this has been answered before, I'm struggling to find any information on it. This is my setup:

I didn't set this up myself, and I don't really understand how it's meant to work or how to reconfigure it.

'Heating' is the Wireless Smart Thermostat that's mounted on the wall. The three radiators that are next to it are three different radiators in my lounge/dining room, each with their own SRT attached. It's a really large room and so it's quite hard to heat.

As is well documented, the readings on the SRTs attached to the radiators are often unrealistically high and therefore aren't much use. The two rads to the right are five feet away from one another and there's a 4.1C temperature difference.

The WST is more accurate and reflects the real temperature in the room. So here, I want the room temperature to be 21C, but the individual radiators keep turning themselves off all the time because they think it's already 21C or above. This means I never get to the correct temperature and it's hard to get the room warm or maintain any kind of temperature.

How do I make it so specific radiators turn on or off based on the overall room temperature reported by the Wireless Thermostat? Or more ideally - how do I make specific radiators turn on when I turn the 'Heating' thermostat on?

To give an example of the latter. Say all the radiators are off. If I set the 'Heating' to 21C (or whatever), and don't manually turn on any of the actual radiators, some of the radiators turn on - even though they're shown as off on the smart panel - and they heat the room accordingly. Others stay off. The ones that are on, then stay on according to the temperature the 'Heating' is set to, which is what I want to happen.

So, if one out of three radiators downstairs and two upstairs turn on when I activate the heating, how is this behaviour decided and how do I change it? What I want is for all three downstairs radiators to be turned on when I turn on the Wireless Smart Thermostat, and stay on until the WST has reached the set temperature.

At this point I'm starting to think I'd be better off not having SRTs at all because the exagerrated readouts they give are useless for heating a room to a desired temperature. But they are useful sometimes.

I hope I've explained this in a way that makes sense, give me a shout if it doesn't!

Thanks all :)

Best Answer

• GrilledCheese2
    GrilledCheese2 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I suggest you group the three SRTs and the WTS into one room on the app. The WTS will be the only temperature sensor for the room and the SRTs are simply opening and closing the radiator valves to regulate the temperature. In a large room you may need to move the WTS to find the best position for measuring the average temperature. The three other rooms will continue to operate as they do now.

Answers

• miked99
    Options

Thank you for this! It took me a while to work out how to do this but it's really helped.

I've had Tado installed for over two years, and this is the first time I've actually been able to use it as a thermostat that maintains a temperature. I can set it to 20C (or whatever) and it turns on and off when required. Before this I was manually turning four different radiators on and off via the app over and over. Constant cycle of too cold, too hot, too cold again....repeat sixty times a day.

It's heating the room properly too, which never happened before as the radiators just wouldn't stay on and it was taking hours to get the room heated sufficiently. I was having to turn radiators onto the max of 25C just to try and keep them on, can't imagine that was doing wonders for my energy usage either.

Things are much better now. Thanks again :)

• How do you specify which radiators/room are controlled by the wireless thermostat? There seems to be no setting to do this.
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    Setting > rooms > click on room > set zone controller