Radiator spraying black water

Options
03carrd
03carrd
edited April 2022 in General Questions & Topics
Hi

I’ve got 6 Tado radiator valves in my home and am trying to install a 7th. However when I unscrew the old TRV, the valve starts spraying out black water with a lot of velocity. I’ve tried this twice and had to screw the TRV straight back on to avoid water going everywhere - screwing it back on has actually been very difficult due to the force of the water.

I’ve tried googling this but can’t really see why this would be happening or what to do about it… there’s lots of support on what to do if a valve is leaking, but in my case it doesn’t leak when it’s screwed on, but when taken off it sprays everywhere…

How am I best to go about installing my Tado valve? Would turning the water off at the mains help? Should I be concerned by the radiator itself?

Answers

• andyblac
    andyblac ✭✭✭
    Options

it sounds like the cartridge inside the TRV valve is coming out when you unscrew the TRV head, so it sounds like a faulty TRV valve you will need to get replaced, or the very least take the pressure off your system (assuming it is a combination boiler or pressurised system) and take a look at the TRV to see if you can fit a new cartridge for it.

like this: