Hot Water Relay not activating- Wireless Temperature Sensor - link

Options

This is not a question more of an observation that may help.

I have installed a Tado system with the wireless receiver, thermostats etc. This system came with the Wireless Temperature Sensor, but I found I didn't really need it as everything was being controlled via the thermostats.

So initially everything worked, CH was going on and off as expected, HW did the same.

Then de-registered the Wireless sensor.

Then a day of my life wasted trying to work out why the HW had not come on as programmed, (also could not activate the HW via the test button either.)

Exchanged communications with the Tado reps, no joy apart from checking that I had wired everything correctly. (Which I was happy with as it was OK as it had worked earlier.)

Then had a thought! What would happen if I re-registered the Wireless Temp sensor.(Rebooted the Receiver.)

As if by magic the HW relay started working. (have de-registered, and re-registered it a number of times to double check, and the observation is sound.)

So The HW relay (as configured for a fully pumped system.) requires the Wireless Temp Sensor.

But I have no idea what the link between them is? The wireless temp sensor is registered, but is programmed to OFF, so doing nothing seems to be a waste of batteries.

Comments

• GrilledCheese2
    GrilledCheese2 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Options

I think the reason you had this problem is because you must have one device to manually control the HW. Assuming the temperature sensor defaulted as the HW controller, when you removed it you will have ended up with an invalid configuration.

You can move the HW control to a wired thermostat, so when you press on the button you will be presented with an option for HW control. If you do this you may be able to remove the temperature sensor as it will have no function in this system. Not totally sure about this, but might be worth investigating if you want to permanently remove the temperature sensor.

• emacdonald
    Options

Thanks for the feedback. Unsure how the Wireless Temp Sensor could link to the HW relay activation, at this time. With the sensor registered in the system, but switched off, everything works as expected, and I can switch the HW on and off using the App. All I know at the moment is that the wireless Temp sensor just needs to be registered, but perform no other function than that for the receiver to work correctly.

"If you do this you may be able to remove the temperature sensor as it will have no function in this system."

It has no function related to the operation HW relay just now, it is just attending the party.

Adding the thermostatic switch or a manual override is an easy modification which I may do later, though the boiler does that function very well independently anyway, and I can use the app to override, as it works better as it will revert on the next timetable change, I am likely to forget to switch of a hard override :-(

I will send this finding/question to the TADO rep as I still have the call open, but they are unavailable over the week-end. Will see if they have a good explanation for this "feature". (There is probably something in the instructions that I have missed :-/ )

So if I get anything that is useful I will post into the chat later.

• emacdonald
    Options

Had a reply from Tado support.

"This is definitely the issue.

A hot water zone consists of a driver (receiver) and a user interface or "brain" (wireless sesor)"

Still does not make sense, but I guess I will just have to live with the registered Wire Temp Sensor, but switched OFF. May find a use for it later.

• GrilledCheese2
    Options

But what happens if you update the “brain” to another device?

• hugbilly
    hugbilly ✭✭✭
    Options

The wireless temperature sensor is the control for HW. To turn the latter on and off manually press the button on the sensor (so it displays the room temperature) and then press it a second time when it will display the HW status. At that point you can turn the HW on or off using the lighted up, down arrow buttons on the sensor . . .

• Andreplusplus
    Options

@emacdonald I would argue the tado reply is nonsense. What do you have as device or devices listed if you go in the app, Hot Water? One or multiple devices? Just the wireless temp sensor?

It should point to the smart thermostat that is the zone controller for the house (i.e. the one that drives the boiler).

Having said that, I don't use hot water control by tado at all. I have shut it off by going to the thermostat that is my zone controller, pressed the buttons until it shows HW and changed v to x (checkmark changed to cross) and then clicked save. (there are manuals on the 'net that explain how to get to the HW in the menu)

My boiler takes care of hot water and it would IMHO only make sense if you have a large reservoir of hot water in your boiler that must be kept hot (which you may not need in the night and save a penny or 2)

• emacdonald
    edited April 2022
    Options

OK guys. It pains me to say this but I now know what is going on. (it is a classic case of RTFM.) As @GrilledCheese2 @Andreplusplus (Thanks for the replies.) have pointed out Tado's response is lack of understanding , as well as mine (now that I understand the problem. Prehaps they should have said "dinnae be such an eejit").

The Wireless thermostat is linked to the main controller, and you do not have to use it, BUT in this case, it is also the CH Boost & H/W override facility,

Press 1 = Show current room temp.

Press 2 = Boost central heating (to what ever the devices are set to, in my case 1hr)

Press 3 = Manually switch on the DHW (again set to 1hr boost on my case.)

This feature (3) will be detailed in the instructions somewhere, and explains why you need the wireless thermostat registered in the system, though you may not need to use it. In my case I was happy using the App for everything.

So to summarise, you need the wireless thermostat registered because is provides the manual override for the CH and the DHW systems. (Though it didn't stop the CH from being controlled.)

(For @Andreplusplus the idea was to switch the DHW off during the day so the immersun unit (Immersion heater via the Solar panels. ) could have a chance to put some energy into the DHW tank.)