Is Tado Compantible with my heating system?

Options
ahyc
ahyc
edited April 2022 in General Questions & Topics

So I purchased Tado for my old house which has 2 zones + hot water. Fast forward a few years I am now in my new house which also has 2 Zones + Hot water. But this time the programmer has 3 Channels I am unsure if Tado is compatible.

Here is the current non-Tado setup I have and the wires attaching to it:

• 1x Wired Thermostat (First Floor) [L, N, N/0]
  • 1x Wired Thermostat (Ground Floor) [L, N, N/0]
  • 1x 3 Channel Programmer (ESI ES3247B) [L, N, H/W, CH1 ON, CH2 ON]

The Tado kit I have are:

• 1x Internet Bridge + 1x Smart Thermostat (Starter Kit)
  • 1x Smart Thermostat
  • 1x Extension Kit

Question is, is it possible to install Tado to replace the existing system to control 2 zones separately and Hot water? Because in the Tado extension kit there is only 1 CH ON where as the existing programmer has 2.

Thanks in advance.

Best Answers

• GrilledCheese2
    GrilledCheese2 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Tado do not have a direct replacement for 3 channel programmers. You have two options.

1) Keep the programmer and use it to control the HW schedule. Set CH1 and CH2 to constant. Replace the old wall thermostats with a smart thermostat. The extension kit is redundant and you don’t have smart control of the HW.

2) Employ an electrician to remove the programmer and re-wire your system to use the extension kit an thermostats. You have the same setup as your previous home, but it will cost you a bit of money.

• GrilledCheese2
    GrilledCheese2 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yes, nothing changes for the hot water. You can schedule the hot water times on the programmer just as you do at the moment.

The heating will have a schedule for each zone and the geofencing function. If you go away on holiday your heating will turn off, but your hot water schedule continues to run, unless you turn it off at the programmer.

You still need the bridge attached to your internet router. This gives you control using the app.

Use the programmer to set the CH1 and CH2 zones to constant. Depending on the manufacturer it will say 24HR or Constant on one of the buttons.

Thermostat wiring is:

• Brown Live -> Tado Live
    • Black NO -> Tado NO
    • Grey Neutral -> Tado P1 (or blank terminal on older thermostats)
  • GrilledCheese2
    GrilledCheese2 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022 Answer ✓
    Options

Yes, you can install the smart TRVs. You can install them in independent mode where they simply open and close the radiator valve according to the scheduled temperature. In this mode the room may be cooler than desired if the boiler is not already turned on.

Or you assign them to the wall thermostat (zone controller) for the heating zone. In this mode they can request the boiler to turn on/off via the wall thermostat.

Answers

• NellyFurtado
    Options

I have a similar setup to the OP and went with option 1 and it works fine. Yes, it would be nice to have more control over the DHW, but it's not worth paying an electrician to sort out; we do that once our 10 year old boiler goes.

• ahyc
    Options
    So for option 1 the hot water I can technically still schedule it say turn off in midnight or something with existing programmer. And still use tado functions to geofence and set schedule through tado app with the 2 thermostats?

So the bridge and extension kit is not needed just the two thermostats.

How do I set the CH1 and 2 to constant? Do you mean in the programmer?

And for the thermostats do you wire it in?
    Live > com
    ON > On
    N > any on tado?
  • ahyc
    Options

Thank you all for your comments I have installed the tado onto my system and works perfectly fine just using the old programmer and Tado bridge + 2 wired thermostats.

A followup question, am I able to install the Smart Radiator Thermostat Tado has onto the system with this setup? I believe I just link it up with the Tado bridge and install the radiator thermostat on the radiator?