Replace EPH Controller with Tado wireless

Options
Hi all

Tado support were no help. I managed to work out I need to replace the EPH controller. I assume this is with a wireless one. The wires behind the EPH are on N L, 3 and 4 but per the tado instructions it’s not clear where they map to there is no P3 for example. I can’t add pictures here to show. Can anyone help

I assume I put the thermostat on the Dray SCR wiring

Can anyone help ?

Regards

Comments

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Options

You can upload images if you go to the forum on the web, that's probably your best bet for getting some help.

• Sib01
    Options

The pictures of eph board

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Options
    What did Tado support say when you told them about your current wireless receiver? You should have received custom instructions on how to wire in the Tado wireless receiver. Did you send them photos?

From another post: “ When you register your products in your tadoº account and selec the option "Install mysefl with step by step instructions" the specific step by step installation instructions will be offered upon having defined what's your current setup.”

What happened when you did this?

This is based entirely on the standard installer manual rather than your specific wiring, so no guarantees that it’s correct and is for theoretical rather than practical use.

Ignore the numbers, look at the diagrams - 3 and 4 are both open switches, marked on Tado as NO (normally open). As you only have one wire connected to your hot water, it’s likely you have an s plan system.

https://cdn.brandfolder.io/607DGEMS/as/tqh86npbjjhws5gwkxfncbfh/104172-DIGITAL-WRP01IB01-INSTALLER_MANUAL-TA-UK-00-V2.pdf

First, turn the power off. Then label the wires clearly so you know which they are when you take the old back plate off.

Follow the instructions in the link above for s plan. Your ch wire currently in 4 goes to CH NO on the Tado wireless receiver. Your hw wire currently in 3 goes to HW NO.

You should have bridging wires. As in the manual, bridge L to CH COM, then bridge CH COM to HW COM.

There is an earth wire. Wire it to the ground symbol terminal.

Make sure the wires are in the correct positions before you turn the power on. You’re using a high voltage connection so it’s important you get it right. If you don’t feel comfortable with any of this, get a professional to do it.
  • Sib01
    Options

Hi Johnnyp78

Thanks for coming back. Tado support haven’t been much help. Your instructions make much more sense. However i ve got stuck again. With the EPH controller is a Drayton SCR which I believe is a wireless thermostat base. The Pro instructions advise to park it with the clips which all was going well until i found the there was an extra cable compared to the instructions and i didn’t know where to park it in the clips. I have attached picture if you have any ideas. I will likely get professional help.

Thanks

• Sib01
    Sib01
    edited September 2022
    Options

Drayton scr cabling as is

• johnnyp78
    Options
    You don’t need that as you have a wireless thermostat. Where is it wired in to? Take all the wires out with the power off and remove it. Provided you’ve wired the wireless receiver in as per my instructions you should be able to pair the wireless thermostat.
  • Sib01
    Options
    Hi I can’t tell where it’s wired into as it goes behind the wall. But it does light up and I need to override it to allow the controller to work. The actual room wireless thermostat is missing hence the override. Can I just stub all the wires to blanks ?

Thanks
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    Yes, you don’t need it.