Batteries died on wired thermostat and now the whole system doesn't work!

Options

Hi, I hope one of you clever people can help me!

I have smart TRV's throughout my house to give me room control and only heat where I need it. I have 9 smart TRV's, a wired room stat, extension kit, and V3 internet bridge. The batteries died on my wired thermostat located in the hall which meant I lost control of hot water. I do not ever schedule the hall to be on as I have no smart TRV so it will always come on with the call from any other of the smart TRV's but since I have replaced the batteries on my hall stat I can only turn the heating on if the hall is on. This didn't used to be the case and any individual room would call for heat. I can make individual rooms work if I remove the hall as a device but then I can't turn my hot water on. Any and all suggestions welcome!

Many thanks in advance,

Jon

Answers

• starconf
    Options

Hi @Soundjacker

Your wired thermostat might need to be the zone controller for the rooms with smart TRVs, and maybe this has changed for some reason. In the app settings, in the 'Rooms & Devices' section, make sure that each room has the Zone Controller set to be the wired thermostat.

• Hi @starconf,

I only get one option for my zone controller and that is the extension kit. This configuration used to work but can’t figure out what has changed. Thank you for your help.
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    When you say you lost control of your hot water, do you mean you can’t control it in the app? The wired thermostat has nothing to do with your hot water, it’s wired from the expression kit.
  • Hi @johnnyp78

My wired thermostat lost battery power and both hallway and hot water went offline in the app. When I replaced the batteries the hot water and the hallway came back online but I now had the problem I originally posted about. When I go in to settings and into hot water it shows both the extension kit and the wired thermostat, don’t know why.
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    That’s fine, it should be showing both, your extension kit is linked to the hot water and it should be controllable from the thermostat. Sounds like the extension kit should be the zone controller.

Are all your rooms set to have the extension kit as the zone controller? Which room is the wired thermostat in and is that set to have the extension kit as zone controller too?

Out of interest, given you have an extension kit, what is the wired thermostat wired to?
  • The original setup before installing Tado was a traditional timer for heating and hot water and a thermostat in the hall for temperature control, this could turn the boiler on and off if the time clock was occupied. I bought the starter kit and just had the wired thermostat in the hall then I started adding the smart TRV’s any individual room could bring the heating on and required no configuration from me. It is only since I lost power to the wired thermostat that the problems have begun and cannot fathom why!
  • Also to add the extension kit is the zone controller for all the devices
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    Is the wired thermostat actually wired to anything? I can’t see how it could be but if it is that may be at least part of the problem.
  • It’s wired to the boiler, but as I say I’ve been using the setup for over a year and it’s not required the hall to be on but now it does🤷‍♂️
  • johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    How is it wired to the boiler if your extension kit is? My suspicion is that changing the batteries caused it to change settings because it now thinks it’s wired in as the zone controller.

Might be time to contact Tado support and ask if they can do anything.