Reducing Humidity

The main bedroom in our house in Portugal, suffers from high humidity in the colder months at night, (corner on N side, lower floor and poor wall insulation). Typically 85% at less than 18C.

My Tado app tells me to wind up the heat, but it doesn't work and surely warmer air holds more humidity?

I have a wall mounted air-conditioner in the room, but if I put that on it cools the room.

I can understand the concept of dehumidifiers in hot humid conditions, but I cant "get my head around" the best way to reduce humidity in cold temperatures.

Would be grateful for any views on the topic.

Answers

• Humidity is relative to temperature. If you warm it up it's relatively less humid. You can also work out absolute humidity. https://planetcalc.com/2167/

I'd also be looking for leaks just in case that is the actual cause of the damp. Guttering, downpipes, leaking plumbing indoors.

For removing humidity you need a de-humidifier running to take the moisture out of the air and put it in a tank to empty away. You can use it in cooler temperatures just as easily.

• Thanks for the response. The problem is not related to guttering etc although I recognise that the wall construction is not the best from a thermal conduction perspective.

Portugal, at least the Algarve, has higher winter humidity than UK and this is what I am dealing with.

I am still not clear if what the Tado app calls for in these circumstances, i.e. wind up the heat, is the best policy, because, whilst this would reduce relative humidity, I cannot see that this would reduce total humidity

Equally, if I switch on the aircon to "Dry" the humidity may be reduced, but the temperature in the room is lowered and that is equally undesirable

• De-humidifier that pulls out the moisture is the only sensible option I would think.

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022

@DavidAlgarve

While tado° can read the humidity and display it in a graph etc........I'm pretty sure that our tado° systems are not "altered" by tado° to utilise the humidity readings. I'm also pretty sure that all tado° does with this humidity information is produce a load of nonsensical " tips" in the Air Comfort room display.