How to get OpenTherm in UK?

Options
chris_d
chris_d
edited December 2022 in General Questions & Topics

Apologies in advance, as I know this question has been asked before.. but I have read numerous posts and I still don't understand it.

I bought (and paid to have fitted) this 'Starter Kit';

"tado° Wireless Smart Thermostat Starter Kit V3+ Incl. Stand" https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B098BKHT3R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And have fitted a few of the Tado radiator valves.

Can someone please advise me the cheapest / most possible route of getting OpenTherm connectivity working for my Tadio system?

My boiler is a combi Intergas that supports OT.

Thanks in advance!

Answers

• chris_d
    Options

But which model exactly, EU / UK, wired/wireless ?

• DM932187
    Options

I believe it's the UK wired version, which still contains OT.

As I understand it, Tado removed OT from the UK wireless receiver as that's usually plugged into an S plan, so operates valves and needs relay, not OT.

You wire the wired version directly to your boiler (Gas Safe if opening it up) with the OT and use your existing wireless version as the remote temp sensor room stat in the location you want.

I use relay myself, so to be clear, this is my understanding from reading the threads on here.

I'm sure others will chip in shortly...

• johnnyp78
    Options
    This isn’t really correct. There is no “uk wired version”. There’s the smart thermostat, which has digital connections. The EU wireless receiver (aka “wireless receiver for combis”) has digital connections. The discontinued extension kit has digital connections. The uk wireless receiver only has relay connections.

I’ve suggested that Tado pin a message explaining this but it will probably take a couple of years.
  • chris_d
    Options
    Thank you guys, much appreciated..! ✌🏻

In the scenario that I bought the 'wired
    smart thermostat', can this be wired into my boiler alongside the existing 'UK Wireless Receiver" I have in place?
  • johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Options
    You remove the uk wireless receiver and replace it with the wired thermostat. Assuming the wireless receiver is wired into relay, you wire the wired thermostat into Opentherm terminals instead.
  • chris_d
    Options
    So my current wireless receiver + wireless thermostat is essentially redundant (if I want O/T)? I don't mind returning it, if that's the case.

The wired thermostat you mentioned - sounds daft but what's the point of it? Surely it's only useful if you wire it to somewhere 'central' in the house as the only thermostat or something?

Could I have it there and ignore it's 'thermostat' function - and have it purely for O/T connectivity relying purely on the radiator valves?

Seems like getting the EU of the wireless receiver is most ideal, but they don't have stock anywhere 😢🙏
  • chris_d
    Options
    Ps sorry for the stupid questions, and I appreciate the swift responses @johnnyp78
  • johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Correct. You use the wired thermostat as a zone controller, not a measuring device. Doesn’t matter which room it’s in on the app as long as it’s not set to be a measuring device. You can carry on using your wireless temperature sensor.

These aren’t stupid questions btw!
  • I had the UK wireless starter kit connected to my Baxi 600 boiler. I then found out the boiler supports OT. Options are to buy the EU wireless kit or to get a wired smart thermostat. I opted for the latter. I replaced the non-OT wireless receiver with the wired thermostat. This is in my boiler cupboard so unsuitable to control my living room temperature so I kept the original wireless thermostat in the setup. Both thermostats are in the same virtual room in the app (even thought they are in different rooms physically) and the room is set to take the wireless thermostat as the reading device. Hey-presto OT enabled. Did have to hide the wired thermostat in Apple Homekit for it to make sense to my partner.

• gary333
    gary333 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options

@johnnyp78 I think you are being a bit obtuse about the wording as even Tado differentiate the starter kits as wired or wireless.

Tado calls the "wired version" the Wired Smart Thermostat Starter Kit V3+

Tado calls he "wireless version" the Wireless Smart Thermostat Starter Kit V3+ (with Hot Water Control)

If you want Opentherm or eBus (and don't have Tado) then can just buy the "wired" kit from the start. There's no point faffing about buying a wireless kit and then buying the wired thermostat, when that is already in the wired kit! If you need to have a wireless setup then you can buy the EU version. But to say a wired version doesn't exist, is wrong.

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I think you’ve misunderstood what I’m saying. There are wired and wireless starter kits. There is no specific uk version of the wired starter kit, which has digital connections.

There is a uk version of the wireless receiver, which doesn’t have digital connections and an eu version, which does, and is often out of stock in the uk. This is what confuses people who want a wireless set up with a modulating connection.
  • gary333
    gary333 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options

Are you saying that the wired thermostat in the wired starter pack is not the same as the add-on wired thermostat?

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options
    No. There is only one model of smart thermostat, which can be used wired in or wirelessly. The wireless temperature sensor, which comes with the wireless starter kit, doesn’t have any physical connections and can only be used wirelessly.
  • gary333
    gary333 ✭✭✭
    Options

But we are talking about the WIRED starter kit, the wired starter kit comes with the wired thermostat. So if there is only one version of the wired smart thermostat then the wired start kit must have digital connections.

• Montage
    Montage ✭✭✭
    Options

You are both in agreement. Johnny says there is one wired version, it’s not U.K. specific and it has the digital capability.

• allias3g
    Options

Hi all

I had the same problem and the only option was to request the return of the UK version which I bought in the first place. At first, I didn't realize it was without OT, but ever since I got myself a second kit (Wireless EU ver) with OT I was able to configure it and with first 10 days of running it I got myself a good 30% saving in gas power usage because my boiler is actually modulating.

If you speak with tado over chat there is a very big chance they will assist you (not the fastest of ways) with a return request and swap over. I was told they didn't have EU in stock but somehow I got thru links on the website, bought one, and installed it in the end. It was a bit hassle but already worth every effort.

Because I bought one with a discount from ScottishPower and the replacement EU was without a discount, they had to swap the settings on my account to get all I wanted to gain full control over my setup. Shame I was in a rush and had not done my research but in the end, I know my kit/setup will pay back in one season alone.

• johnnyp78
    Options
    @Montage yes, not sure how many different ways there are to say it!
  • gary333
    gary333 ✭✭✭
    Options

Ah, understood now. I thought you were saying there was no wired starter kit version being sold in the UK that has digital outputs.

• Scott69
    Options

@allias3g I just had the same experience and now waiting for the EU wireless to appear. I won't be able to return the UK wireless as it was part of a starter kit. I'm really pissed off that Tado don't make this clearer. They should at least offer a discount for people who have been caught out due to their lack of information and availability of devices, perhaps a trade-in of the old system. mine is a month old and my heating bill has increased substantuially since installing the UK (relay) version.

• allias3g
    Options

@Scott69 wasn't there a deal that you can return it if it actually does not create any savings? Have you explored all the options for the return?

• johnnyp78
    Options
    @Scott69 if your heating bill has gone up with Tado on relay it probably won’t go down if you use a modulating connection without altering your schedule.
  • GrayDav4276
    Options
    Return it and get your money back if it isn't what you thought you were buying.
  • Shmalenyuk1111
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Hi all, if EU wireless receiver is not available, can I buy a wired thermostat version and wire the thermostat to act as a receiver (to benefit from OT), keep it wall hung near boiler in a cupboard but control my zone heating with smart TRV fitted on all radiators in house. Will that setup work and modulate my boiler? Should I then set target temperature in that wired thermostat near boiler to +5 so it doesn’t trigger the central heating?
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    You can do all that, but you don’t set temperature on devices with tado, you set rooms, so as long as the thermostat linked to the boiler is placed in a room on the app where there’s another tado device set as the measuring device there should be no issue.