Would the the following 3 Channel setup work?

Options

Our house is currently using a system boiler, and it has a 3-Channel programmer (Horstmann H37XL) for upstairs heating, downstairs heating and hot water. There are two wired thermostats, one upstairs, and one downstairs.

My current thought is removing the programmer and connecting the upstairs heating and hot water to a Tado wireless controller. The downstairs heating will bypass the programmer and be permanently on, and it will be controlled by replacing the existing wired downstairs thermostat with a Tado wired thermostat.

My question is would this work natively in the Tado app, i.e. can I control both the Tado wireless controller and the Tado wire controller under the same Tado account, and also set up the schedules nicely?

If yes, can I further add TRV to the rooms upstairs (controlled by the wireless controller) for finer control?

Thanks a lot for the help!

Answers

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Assuming you have a standard wiring set up this all sounds fine.
  • sebjou
    Options

@czydbb i have the exact same setup. I have a S plan with the same programmer.

I am planning to do the same as you did.

did it work?

Seb

• Don___
    Don___
    edited December 2023
    Options

This is what I did.

Removed the wired thermostats (One downstaors and one upstairs) replaced them with Tado wireless stats.

As the house has two heading zones and one zone for hot water, all rads have Tado smart TRV's I connected as follows:-

Channel 1 - I electrically connected the main Heating vales (on/Of) for upstairs and downstairs in parallel. Thus if a rad upstairs calls for heat the water flows from the boiler to upstairs and downstais. But only Rad TRV's that are calling for heat allow water through the radiator.

Channel 2 - This connects to the hot water normally.

I have been running like this for two years without issue. When I spoke to Tado about a 3 channel system they answered there is not much demand for this. However all new houses in the UK have 3 channel systems. Dont even think its on their developement plan.