Does Tado turn the boiler off when it reaches temperature?

Options

Hi,

Please can someone help.

Last night, I had Smart Schedule going and two of the radiators were on, and it showed in the Tado app. However, after not a very long time after the evening schedule started, the boiler was no longer firing and the heat slowly died away from the radiators, even though it said they were on in the app. I thought there was an issue with the system, so I reset the main thermostat and the heating started again but shortly went off again.

It was quite warm inside the house, and not particularly cold outside.

Does Tado turn the boiler off when it reaches temperature? My old system used to do this all the time, but this is the first time it has happened with Tado. I had Smart Schedule on this morning, but the boiler did not turn off and the heating stayed on the whole time.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Answers

• GrilledCheese2
    GrilledCheese2 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Options

The short answer is no, Tado does not turn the boiler off when the room reaches temperature. If the room temperature is deviating a lot from the set temperature then something is wrong, but you may just be experiencing a PID thermostat doing its thing.

A traditional thermostat set to 20° will call for heat until the room reaches that temperature and then reactively switch off the boiler. The hot water in the system continues to heat the room for 20 minutes causing the room temperature to overshoot. The thermostat then kicks back in when the room temperature has dropped significantly below the 20°.

Tado is a PID thermostat so it will use an algorithm to calculate how long the boiler needs to be on to reach/maintain the set temperature. It's anticipating the room will constantly lose heat and radiators continue to emit heat when the boiler is off. The result is the boiler will switch on/off around the set temperature, but won't necessarily switch off at the same time as the temperature is reached.

• DCooper7
    Options

Thank you very much for your informative reply.

From what I understand, even though it does not work in the same way as a traditional thermostat, Tado does switch off the boiler around the set temperature.

I was just a bit surprised as this has not happened before. Am I right in thinking that this happened last night because the temperature outside wasn't particularly cold and it wasn't particularly cold indoors either?

Thank you again.

• GrilledCheese2
    Options

The outside temperature and intensity of sunshine do affect how Tado operates. On a cold morning where the indoor temperature has dropped overnight Tado will initially operate the thermostat at 100%. On a mild evening where the home has retained heat during the day then Tado might initially switch the boiler on for 50% of the time, then reduce to switching the boiler on for 15% of the time.

The Tado algorithms don't always get it right, but PID controllers are recognised as being more efficient than traditional mechanical thermostats.

• DCooper7
    Options

Thank you again for your help.

The Schedule kicked in at 18:00 hours. It is now 20 past the hour and the boiler has already gone off. It is a bit annoying as I wanted it to stay on, and I can only assume it is because it is even milder today (12 degrees). The only way I can get the boiler to fire again is to increase one of the radiator's temperatures up to 25 and I really don't want to do that.

• davidlyall
    Options
    I think you need to let tado do its "thing"

I used to wonder what was going on but having had tado for over 3 years now, I can see sense in how it operates.

You're seeing the boiler stop firing even though the room is below temp? If you look at the graph for the room, I'll bet that the temp continues to rise because the radiator is full of hot water so the energy will continue to release into the room and it will reach the set point.

It's the same on the way down. Tado may will start heating even though a room is above set temp to stop it dropping too far below what you want it set to.

HtH