Vaillant Ecotec Plus 418 non-combi using Tado V3 starter 'combi' control (for digital ebus)

Options
2»

Answers

• GazzaH
    Options

What WB model is it? an Ri?

• Montage
    Montage ✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, it’s a WB 15Ri.

• GazzaH
    Options

The Ri's are good boilers. Quite well thought of by most gas engineers. They are quite reliable and easy to service. They don't show any digital displays or have digital control but at the end of the day they are simple and reliable.

WB have a tendency to try to be clever and over complicate some of their boilers but the Ri range, being a fairly sensible design rarely causes problems.

Your home automation route is the way to go if you need to see the readings but that boiler is likely worth keeping for a bit longer unless it's causing a problem.

Just make sure it gets serviced regularly and a major service/proper clean out of the heat exchanger every few years or the baffles can get jammed in or heat exchanger crud builds up affecting combustion.

• GazzaH
    Options

I fitted an LCD digital display and thermistor to my boiler's flow and return today (not smart ones, just basic) and in hot water mode on D17 return based control, it didn't in reality limit the boiler's return to 55C, the return reached over 63C. Maybe on hot water priority it blasts out as much heat as it can to heat the cylinder as fast as possible and ignores a return setpoint the same way it ignores the flow setpoint?

I'll need to watch the sensors the next time the heating is on full to see if it limits the return to 55C in heating mode.

• GazzaH
    Options

I've put my boiler back to flow based control, put the pump overrun back to the factory setting and set the heating to 60C flow temp. Cylinder target temp 60C (max boiler will allow with the VR10 connected), HW flow temp goes up to 75C I've noticed when reheating but reheats the cylinder rapidly to 60C.

• GazzaH
    Options

It turns out that the D071 max heating temperature is obeyed by the ebus. Whatever max CH temp is set in D071, the ebus cannot request more than this. I tried creating a high demand by cranking up the Tado room temp setpoint to 25C, it went to 80C target heating temp in D005, when set to 60C in D071, it went to 60C max in D005 for the same Tado demand.

• Gazzah,

I have a similar set up to you and would be grateful for some advice.

I have the following:

2003 built 5 five bed
    Vaillant ecotec plus 430
    Unvented hw tank
    Vaillant vr65
    Standard mechanical cylinder stat
    Tado thermostat connected via ebus
    Tado smart TRV’s fitted to most rads with the exception of hall, bathroom, we and en-suite

Questions:

1. I would like to replace the cylinder stat with the VR10, did you install any other overheat protection? I here conflicting advise on this

2. I have set D0 to auto and max ch flow temp to 60deg. I’m finding that the boiler does modulate right down to the mid 30’s but the anti cycling does kick in quite abit. The stat is set to 20deg is this anti cycling ok or should I tweaking the settings?

Concerning the Tado Smart TRVs that you’re thinking of installing. I found during the last heating season that they would shut off too early and the room wouldn’t get up to temperature. I tried an adapter to mount them horizontally and played around with trv offset settings but ultimately I had to buy the tado wireless temp receivers.

I would grateful for any advice