How does the room thermostat function in the same room as the radiator TRV

Options

This problem is really bugging me and i can't seem to get an understandable answer from Tado themselves.

My set up is that i have:

Hallway fixed wired tado thermostat

Hallway tado smart trv

all other rooms also have tado smart trv's fitted.

My issue is understanding in this scenario how should the schedule be set on the hallway fixed wired tado thermostat? as technically this particular item is redundant by having a tado radiator trv in the same room.

Should i simply make the schedule exactly the same as the radiator trv in that room or does one of the two devices need to be the zone controller? in this case if its the radiator trv that is the zone controller, then what exactly would the wall thermostat be doing?

Answers

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    Options
    You set Tado schedules by room, not by device. The thermostats can give a more accurate temperature reading than the trvs, depending on where they’re placed. One of the devices in the room needs to be set as measuring device, the zone controller has to be something physically attached to either a zone valve or boiler, which in your case would be the wired thermostat.
  • Actual
    Actual
    edited July 2023
    Options

I will have a similar installation but I haven't get Tado yet so I don't have anything to play with...

My traditional hall thermostat which connects to the boiler will be replaced by a Tado wired thermostat and I will have Tado TRV's on all my radiators around the house which will be one TRV per room.

If I don't use the Tado wired thermostat in the hall then nothing will turn on the boiler for heat.

If the Tado wired thermostat in the hall gets to the set point temperature then the boiler will turn off and now none of the rooms will get any heat.

If I set a high set point temperature on the Tado wired thermostat in the hall then the boiler will run even when all the rooms are at their set point temperatures as set by the Tado TRV's.

What is the best solution to this?

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    Options
    That’s not how Tado works. Have a look at my previous answer.
  • GrayDav4276
    Options
    @Actual
    I strongly advise you not to purchase any tado devices until you fully understand how a tado system operates.
    Spend more time searching through the Community Forum to understand exactly what you expect your Central Heating system to achieve.
  • Actual
    Options

I don't have Tado which may explain why I don't understand your previous answer.

• Actual
    Options

@GrayDav4276 Thanks for the warning.

At my previous house I self installed Honeywell Evo Home on a Y Plan which was reasonably successful but I had an issue with the boiler constantly cycling every few seconds which I was unable to resolve. Compared to Evohome a Tado installation could be as simple as replacing a traditional thermostat and may not need as much electrical control circuit reconfiguration.

I'm expecting Tado to have limitations but without being hands with on and not having the devices to play with I'm struggling to understand certain fundamentals.

• davidlyall
    davidlyall ✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

@davwood76, @Actual in your situations, both the smart thermostat and TRV would be linked to the same room and the smart thermostat would be set as the measuring device. This would essentially make the TRV a slave device of the thermostat so all it does is open/close the valve. The heating schedule is for the room so need to set individual device schedules

In addition, the smart thermostat could be the zone controller for all TRVs so that they can individually call for heat and start the boiler. You don't have to do this as there may be some rooms that don't need to call for heat

This is assuming you're not installing a wireless receiver to manage hot water. If you do, then it becomes the heating zone controller to manage the boiler and is set as zone controller for any devices that need to be able to call for heat

• davwood76
    Options
    There's so much confusion and conflicting advice on forums but for clarity after many discussions with Tado support, some extremely frustrating here's how it goes for a system as follows:

Wired or wireless Tado wall thermostat
    Tado radiator valves in all rooms

In every room with a valve on the radiator, this will be a separate zone which can have its own schedule/temperature settings and will show as such in the app.

In the room with the thermostat and a radiator valve, only one can control the temperature, this will be default be the thermostat when the radiator valve and thermostat are grouped under one room in the app. It will function exactly the same as all other rooms, with the exception being the thermostat, rather than the radiator valve in this one room will be measuring temperature.

In all set up cases you need a wall or wireless Tado thermostat as this communicates with the boiler once any radiator requests heat.
  • emD
    Options
    I have an open plan living space on the ground floor which has two radiators with TRV’s and a wired wall thermostat. The thermostat is set to OFF. The TRV’s measure and call for heat as needed.
    When they call for heat the wired thermostat (acting as the Zone Controller) tells the boiler to fire up. To clarify further…although it is one large space I have created three ‘Rooms’. LivingRoom contains the wired thermostat. KitchenArea and DiningArea have a TRV each. Although set to OFF the thermostat reads the temperature in the overall space and I adjusted the TRV target temperatures accordingly.
    This set up works perfectly. I hope I have explained it clearly!
    To the original poster … if I understand correctly you would need to create a room called ‘Hall’ , put the Thermostat and the TRV in it, make the Thermostat the ZoneController(I believe it will default to this because it’s the only device physically connected to the boiler), make the TRV the MeasuringDevice and away you go.
  • hugbilly
    Options

Better to use the thermostat as the measuring device as, unlike the TRV, it's not sitting next to a hot radiator. The TRV(s) will be controlled by it.

Here's an example from my own home, in each case the Wireless Temperature Sensor is the measuring device and the TRVs are slaved to it:

• Interesting! I was curious as I'll have a smart thermostat in the living room together with the main controller/thermostat for the system.

I thought that the system was intelligent to take both measurements into consideration. So, for example, when it's cold near the window, it can turn the heat on, but keep it on until the heat reaches the main thermostat, and/or vice versa. Or perhaps calculate the average or have some sort of smart behavior that benefits from the redundancy.

I frequently make the room warmer because it is sometimes 20 Celsius at my thermostat while it's much colder where I work from, near the window. Then, when the radiator heats, it's sometimes not responsive enough.

I might want to do the opposite and have the radiator dictate the rule. I assume I can achieve that by moving the central thermostat to a fake room and have it always turned off if the app does not have a setting that let me choose the temperature sensor I would like to use. 🤔

I would rather have the system turning itself on and off more frequently to maintain the temperature stable instead of waiting until the central unit detects enough of a change to act.

Sorry for the long comment. It will be fun to play with my new knob coming tomorrow! 🥳

• hugbilly
    hugbilly ✭✭✭
    Options
    It’s easy enough to change the measurement device in the app. without the need to make a “fake” room