Replacing broken combi boiler, any manufacturers to avoid for Tado?

Hi all,

We've been using Tado for a couple of years now and no major problems. We have the wireless smart thermostat and extension kit (so that we could site the thermostat in a better location in the house).

Our ageing Remeha AvantaPlus 39c combi bolier looks to have died and is beyond economic repair. 🙄

We're therefore looking for a new combi boiler that'll play nicely with Tado.

We're in the UK and likely to go with a Vaillant (EcoFIT Pure 830), Worcester Bosch (Greenstar 28Si Compact) or Baxi (630 or 830).

Does anyone have any input on which of these will work best/play nicely with Tado. Or any that will be problematic?

My old boiler wasn't modulating and I understand it's good to utilise that where possible. Would it be worth going with a Baxi due to their native OpenTherm support?

Thanks in advance for any pointers,

Andy

Answers

• Michael
    Michael | Moderator

Hi Andy,

OpenTherm works fine with tado°!

See also the following link for possible options:

Kind regards,

Michael

• Hi Michael,

Yep I know Tado supports OpenTherm. My question is really... is it worth specifically going for a Baxi for that reason (due to the native Opentherm support out of the box).

Or would the Vaillant or Worcester Bosch be fine too (albeit with some sort of adaptor)?

Thanks,

Andy

• Ahh well, we've placed an order for a Baxi 830. The 10 year warranty swung it (along with Opentherm). 😁

I've talked to the installer about changing the current Tado Extension Kit wiring from switched live to Opentherm and hopefully that'll go ok. It looks simple enough from the Tado instructions.

Given we're going from switched live to Opentherm though, what is the best way of supplying the Extension Kit with power? The Tado instructions say...

"The Extension Kit requires a separate 230 V power supply at N and L for OpenTherm installation"

In practice where does that come from? Would it be fed from the boiler (as currently)? Or just fit a plug to it?

We're in the UK btw.

Thanks,

Andy