Is the Tado Thermostat Accurate?

Options

I have just set up a DHT11 sensor to monitor temp/humidity in another room and I thought I would put it next to the Tado Thermostat to compare.

The results are:

Tado Temp: 18.29

DHT11 Temp: 22.3

Tado Humidity: 68.8

DHT Humidity: 70

The humidity is pretty close but the actual temp is pretty different!

Comments

• eezytiger
    eezytiger ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

I've had Tado for two years. This year, when the time came to recharge the batteries and get things ready for the current winter season I took all eight of my Tado SRTs off the rads and lined them up on the coffee table, out of the sun. I also added a few digital thermometers to the coffee table and checked temps as everything stabilised. I found the temperature agreement between all devices to be completely satisfactory. From memory the worst outliers were no more than +/- 0.5C from the median, mostly more like +/- 0.2C. The Tado spread was probably tighter than the thermometers, so nothing to complain about at all.

As for humidity, I don't recall the variance, probably wider than the temperature variation, but not especially important to be precise. 60% +/- 5% is completely fine in my book.

• wateroakley
    Options

I’d agree with eezytiger. In two homes, since Feb 2022, the x24 trvs and x3 room stats seem to be as accurate. The outlier was one trv, over temperature on a large rad in the lounge. Adding a wireless room stat fixed the issue.

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

Checking them on a coffee table is way different to their performance when in close proximity to their rads. Universally renowned for being inaccurate in measuring real world temps. It therefore follows that RH is also out of kilter.

• eezytiger
    eezytiger ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

The coffee table test demonstrates consistency of measurement and accuracy of their own individual temperature measurement.

My SRTs are not blocked by things like curtains, furnishings etc and they are at the bottom of the rads, measuring temps close to floor level without the influence of rising heat from the rads.

In the living room, when set to 20C throughout the day, the temp at seated head level across the room is definitely in the same ball park. Right now the lounge SRT is showing 19.9C, with the heating now turned off. Across the room the thermometer shows 20.1C In other words, absolutely fit for purpose.

• SPT
    Options
    They may be technically accurate.. but the TRV being near the radiator means the temperature will be higher than the middle of the room where its cooler. Most people judge the temperature via a wall or desk thermometer. It's a perception thing, and people seem to want under the whole room temp as opposed to the actual temp near the radiator.
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

It's clear we have differing opinions (experiences) on their accuracy and, as I have mentioned in many other threads, my measurements have been taken against a regularly calibrated (for temp and RH) device. The RH measurements, in my experience are some way out but the temp measurements, as most people did pre-smart, are easily sorted by disregarding the use of offsets and setting a target temp at the rad to attain overall room requirements.

Question: Given that SRTs are consistent, is that any less accurate than installing a room stat?