HELP! Boiler not turning on.

Options
Just installed my Tado system, but it’s not working. The boiler isn’t being turned on, and as a result my radiators are all cold.

My existing system is a Worcester Greenstar 12Ri. With an ESI - ES1247B Controller(Which I believe was just to control hot water). As well as two ESI - ESRTP5WIFI thermostats. Each thermostat controls a zone. Upstairs and downstairs.

I’ve purchased the Wireless Starter Kit V3+. As well as four Smart Radiator Thermostats. And an extra Wired Smart Thermostat.

I was sent instructions to install, which I believe I’ve followed exactly. I can see it’s all correctly connected in the TADO app. And I can see that the Wireless Receiver is trying to request both Water and Heat, but the boiler is off. Doesn’t seem to listen.

Any help would be appreciated as I’m in for a cold night!

Comments

• Ok, I've discovered something from testing. My upstairs thermostat(The one I wired in the same place my old one was wired into), works fine! I can adjust the temperature and it seems to trigger the boiler accordingly.

The issue appears to be with my downstairs thermostat. Where I replaced my old wired thermostat with the wireless one. The wires to the old one are left unconnected, as the wireless one doesn't need them(Or at least it's not supposed to). So the issue is that the wireless one(And all my downstairs) doesn't seem to do anything. But my wired one(All my upstairs) does.

Perhaps I'm going to need to replace this downstairs wireless one with a wired one and connect it. But that shouldn't be required really.

• wateroakley
    Options

The downstairs should work with a wireless receiver. Please post details and pictures of the before and after wiring,

• johnnyp78
    Options
    If the wireless receiver is working correctly it sounds like a wiring issue. You seemingly have a two heating zone house. The wireless receiver should be wired to one zone valve; the smart thermostat should be wired to the other. Your downstairs rooms should have the wireless receiver as their zone controller, the upstairs rooms zone controller should be the smart thermostat.
  • Thanks for the response.

Here is a photo from before:

Connected components are N, L and 3. And there is a bridge between L and 1.

And here is after:

Connected components are N, L and HW NO. With bridges between L and CH COM, as well as CH COM and HW COM.

I was following along in the app, but as I replacing the ES1247B for Hot Water only, support needed to send me a specific document. Which I followed. Attached accordingly.

• Yep agreed, for some reason in the app, I only have the option to use the "Wireless Receiver" as their controller. That means that all of upstairs is linked to that, which it shouldn't be. As you said, it should be linked to the Smart Thermostat upstairs. I believe support can change this manually on their side, which I'll ask that they do. Have you got any ideas as to how I can add that myself?

• johnnyp78
    Options
    I think some people have managed it by uninstalling and reinstalling their device on the app but might be better to wait see what tado says.
  • Just for anyone finding this thread in future. I solved it myself, through great expense.

I got in touch with support and honestly they were rather useless. Kept asking me the same questions over and over and not offering many suggestions. Or suggestions they were offering weren't relevant to my setup.

In the end I figured that as it was just the downstairs thermostat that wasn't working, it must be my replacing a previously wired one with wireless that was causing compatibility issues. Perhaps my boiler was only configured for wired or something. Or perhaps the controller by the boiler is only wired for hot water, rather than controlling any heating(which the wireless one would use for its zone control).

Anyway, long story short. I ended up purchasing a wired one. Removed the wireless and wired in the new one. And it worked immediately. So note to self: Don't try and replace a wired thermostat with wireless. Only replace wired with wired.

So yeah, not a great experience, and I needed to fork out for a new wired one to replace the wireless. And now I've got a wireless that I need to sell or something...not great.

Overall I'm happy with the product, but super disappointed the failing setup and unhelpful support.

• I seem to have a similar setup to you but for the life of me can’t get this working.

Well I kind of did till I’ve been trying to add the wireless receiver so I can get hot water control!

Before the wireless receiver; I just replaced two wired thermostats with wired ones from tado and each zone is its own zone.

Add the wireless into the mix and it seems to try become the controller for heating.

Also noticed on your wiring you have the bridge from L to COM and COM to HW; maybe I should try that. Do you only have one wire into HW NO?
  • For some reason the app didn't let me change the controller. So you might need to have support do that for you. Basically setting each thermostat to control its own zone. And the water controller to only be for water. So reach out and they should be able to do it.

But to answer your question, yeah, just the one wire into HW NO.