Confused how the wireless thermostat works and few questions

Options

Hi everyone,

I got the "Wireless Smart Thermostat Starter Kit V3+ with Hot Water Control" but during installation realised that my thermostat is wired and the Wireless Receiver does not control the heating at all. So, is the receiver in this case only for the water control? Do I have to buy a wired thermostat now and have the wired as an extra one or its also useless? We do plan to change the boiler and the heating system around April, but would like to still use the Tado system.

Lastly, I have followed all the instructions very closely, but could you have a look and tell me if there is anything wrong with my installation(hot water seems to work while the heating is currently controlled by the existing thermostat)?

Old system:

New(without the thermostat):

Answers

• penarthhywel
    edited December 2023
    Options

The wiring looks as expected for the Tado.

What's this additional thermostat that controls the heating? Could it be in addition to the Tado receiver that you've added?

You might need to get a multimeter (if you don't have one) to see what voltages are on what wires and if that changes as you trigger the heating on/off

E.g. check between CH NO and N (neutral) when the heating's off - should be 0v and when the heating's on it should be 230v. If it's always 0v then that other thermostat might be wired in somewhere instead of the Honeywell one you replaced?

• johnnyp78
    Options
    I’m a bit confused by this too. Have you wired the wireless receiver directly to the boiler or has it taken the place of your wired thermostat? If you’ve wired directly to the boiler, the wireless receiver should control both hot water and heating. You can put a wireless temp sensor where your wired thermostat was or move it somewhere more suitable.
  • Dralexus
    Options
    I have the wireless thermostat setup and running, but the heating does not seem to change based on tado. The honeywell thermostat is in the living room next to the kitchen where the tado wireless receiver is and the old programmer used to be. After some testing, I figured out the heating is still controlled by the existing wired honeywell thermostat.
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    You’ll need to trace the wiring back to the boiler. Sounds like you might have zoned heating and you’ve wired the wireless receiver to a zone valve for heating but it’s difficult to say. If you’re struggling I would get a professional to have a look.
  • Dralexus
    Options
    The entire house heating is controlled by the existing honeywell thermostat. I am just curious what is the point of the programmer/wireless receiver next to the boiler if the heating is controlled by the honeywell unless its only to control then water.
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    At a guess I would say it had a timer for the heating on it, whereas your thermostat controls the target temperature.