Tado setup question

Options
Good morning

I have just moved into a new house and I am looking for some advice on the best set up. I have a 2 zone heating system, upstairs and downstairs

My plan was to buy a wired thermostat to control downstairs and hot water and a wireless thermostat to control upstairs. I also have a sun room which cools down alot quicker than the rest of the house. If I put a smart trv in there would that make that rad turn on by itself without heating the rest of the house when required? I don't really understand how one rad can turn itself on without the other heating lol

Thanks

Comments

• hugbilly
    Options
    You need smart TRVs on all the radiators in the downstairs circuit if you want the sun room to be able to call for heat without all the other radiators heating up . . .
  • Possibly set it up as wireless receiver + thermostat for hot water and zone 1 (upstairs), the wired receiver for zone 2 (downstairs) and the TRVs downstairs to control the various things on the zone as the post above said.

A single zone has to be on for any radiator on that zone to heat up - the alternative to avoid the TRVs would be to put the sun room on a third zone if the effort/cost/mess involved was acceptable. Maybe possible if the boiler is near the sun room - probably not worth for instance it if they are opposite ends of the building and all the ceiling joists run across ways! 🤔

• Mmos
    Options
    The sun room is at the other side of the house so a 3rd zone won't work.

If I put trvs on all the rads downstairs would i need a wired (zone 1) and wireless (zone 2) thermostat or could i say use the wireless thermostat for upstairs to control heat and hot water and put the trv in all of downstairs rads
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    You need something wired to each of your heating zone valves and your hot water valve. As you said, a wired thermostat for one zone and a wireless receiver to control the other zone and hot water would do this.

I would start off with that. If you want your sun room to heat up without other rooms heating up, all the other rooms in the zone will need Tado trvs.