Why is Tado controller firing boiler at random temps?

Options

Whatever I set the heating to, the Tado contoller totally ignores it and fires up the boiler:

Heating set to off, Tado says temp is 19.3 degrees and fires up the boiler.

Heating set to 10 degrees, Tado says temp is 19.9 degrees and fires up the boiler.

EVERYTHING set to off, Tado says temp is 20.6 degrees and fires up the boiler.

The only way I can stop this is to put the controller into test mode, that stops the the boiler firing for 5 minutes, or cut the power to the entire heating system.

Comments

• pcone
    pcone ✭✭✭
    Options

Is it wired correctly? Is this a new installation?

In the first two examples there is a heating request from Office and Mum's Bedroom. If you've only just turned it off in the third example, this might be the boiler pumping water to dissipate the heat in the system.

• Poppycock536382
    edited December 2023
    Options

This is a new installation, wired in by an electrician. Test modes both work.

None of these examples involve "just turned off". All are set for at least 10 minutes with no result. Heating set to zero/off, boiler fires up at 21 degrees.

Also, heating requests from the radiators do not fire up the boiler or close down the boiler, only the wireless thermostat can do that. Heating requests from the radiators simply open or close the radiator valves.

• pcone
    pcone ✭✭✭
    Options

If it still heats with all rooms turned off in Tado, then I suggest you get the electrician back to check the wiring

• Poppycock536382
    edited December 2023
    Options

The wiring is fine. The Tado controller does turn the boiler on and off, just not when we want, only when it wants.

Heating set to zero/off, boiler fires up at 21 degrees. Both test modes work.

Also, the Tado radiator valves do not control the boiler, they control the radiators. If the valves are set to off and the wireless thermostat is set to 25 degrees then logic dictates the boiler will remain on until the WIRELESS THERMOSTAT has reached 25 degrees, regardless of what the valves want.

The Tado radiator thermostats do not control the boiler in any way, that is not how the system works.

• GrayDav4276
    Options

I think that the installation is definitely not correct......

• pcone
    pcone ✭✭✭
    Options

By default, a heating demand in any room will trigger the boiler to switch on. Are all your rooms set to independent?

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options
    I agree with @pcone and @GrayDav4276 . What do you mean about the tado trvs not controlling the boiler? Is the zone controller for the rooms they’re in set to unassigned ?