What products to get for 2 combi boilers within the same house?

Options

We're renovating our house and would like to add Tado thermostats and valves, however, we're struggling to find out whether we can actually do what we want.

We are putting 2 combi boilers (not conmected to each other but connected to the same meter).

First boiler will have one underfloor heating and 2x radiators connected to it. We'd like to be able to control underfloor heating individually as well as radiators separately.

Second boiler will have 7 radiators connected to it. We'd like to be able to control each radiator separately.

Our question is whether Tado can work with 2 combi boilers and can we achieve the above through our app? If so, what products would we need to get? 2x thermostats (wired or wireless?) and valves only?

Answers

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options
    As long as you can wire something to your boilers there’s no reason why you can’t attach smart thermostats to both (or a wireless receiver and smart thermostat if you prefer). You could then add Tado trvs to your radiators if the system is working. Depends on how your ufh is plumbed but you might need another smart thermostat for that.
  • Thank you

It's all been fully replumbed and underfloor will be laid with one manifold. So we can definitely wire thermostats to the boilers.

Does that mean I would need to get 2x starter kit and radiator valves? Also would wired ones still function as normal on the app and communicate with the valves? We don't technically need separate wireless thermostats as the floor with under floor heating will have a boiler and the rest will have radiators which will have Tado. Is that correct?

Also, would they both work on Tado app separately? I saw somewhere that you can't run 2 boilers in Tado.
  • johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options
    You can run as many boilers as you want (within reason). You can’t have two wireless receivers in one installation but more than one smart thermostat is fine. You don’t need two starter kits, one wired starter kit (or wireless if you want a wireless temp sensor as well) and an add on smart thermostat should do it. Once that’s working you can start adding tado trvs. Tado is a modular system, as long as there’s a bridge you can add devices as needed.
  • That's very helpful. Thank you.

We're replumbing it in a way to get it ready for future that neither boilers are actually connected to each other and all water supply is seperate too. How would an add on smart thermostat be linked to the seperate boiler without the kit?
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    One bridge connected to the router. A device to trigger each boiler. TRVs on the radiators if needed. Wouldn’t make any difference to Tado whether the boilers were connected to the same system. The only issue you might have is all the devices getting a good connection to the bridge.
  • I can sort out the connection as I will be putting mesh wireless network across the house.

I spoke to Tado support team and they told me this below which has confused me more. How do I connect the second boiler and use in the app?

"You asked if the whole setup could be in one App, right? The answer is yes but with one Boiler Device only. That means if your current boiler controller demands a receiver, only one per Home is allowed. Otherwise the system won´t work.

The other thing is the underfloor, as already mentioned, to use tado° with underfloor heating, you need to have wires running from a manifold to the particular room(s), so that you are able to connect our Smart Thermostat directly to the wires."

Their recommendation was this but this doesn't take into account the second boiler which will control 7 radiators seperately.

"A Smart Thermostat controls the zone valve or pump of the water-based underfloor heating, the Wireless Receiver controls the boiler and Smart Radiator Thermostats are installed in all commonly used rooms (recommended)

The Smart Thermostat controls the zone valve of the underfloor heating system* based on the room temperature measured in the underfloor heating zone. This allows you to control the room independently of all other rooms.

The Wireless Receiver turns the boiler on whenever any tado° devices request heat. You can control the temperature in individual rooms by changing the settings on the Smart Radiator Thermostats**.

You’ll need the following tado° devices:

• 1x Starter Kit - Wired Smart Thermostat (includes Smart Thermostat and Internet Bridge)
    • 1x Add-on - Wireless Receiver
    • Add-on - Smart Radiator Thermostats for each room

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options
    I don’t want to contradict tado support but that doesn’t sound right to me. What they’re saying is you can only have one boiler linked to one wireless receiver per account, which is fine. However they haven’t taken account of a smart thermostat being able to trigger a boiler. Given that tado smart thermostats can be used to trigger multiple zone valves, there’s no reason that I can see why they can’t trigger multiple boilers. I might be totally wrong on this of course but I don’t think I am. You have a fairly unique situation so it looks like it’s confusing them. However if they’re saying it wouldn’t work I wouldn’t advise you to go ahead unless you’re willing to experiment.

Mesh wireless network won’t make any difference to tado, the devices don’t connect over WiFi.