Radiator Thermostat not keeping target temperature

Options
I just got a new wireless thermostat+ smart radiator valves for the different rooms. The issue is that the rooms heat up to the target temperature at the beginning of the schedule/ when turned on manually, but then fail to keep the target temperature.

My flat is extremely poorly insulated, so the temperature drops markedly withina very short period of time. The temperature graph shows that the system is still heating, but it oscillates a couple of degrees below the target temperature. Does anyone know what the issue might be/ how I could fix this?

Best Answer

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You’ve just installed Tado so it will be learning how to keep the target temperature by cycling the boiler on and off, rather than leaving the boiler on permanently and overshooting the temp as a traditional system would do. Sounds like it’s working normally. Best to set the schedule you want, leave it alone for a couple of weeks and see how it’s doing then.

Answers

• gary333
    Options

Sounds like your boiler might be going in to anti-cycling mode. Do you know what boiler you have? Have you setup each room to be able to call for heat, if so, this is likely why this is happening now, but wasn't before.

• RuPe
    Options

Thanks so much!

I've got a Potterton Gold HE combi boiler, which now has a Tado Wireless Thermostat fitted to it, as it didn't have any thermostat before. And yes, each room can call for heat. I'm attaching a screenshot of one of the rooms from yesterday. The first peak is when it goes up to the target temperature of 19C (or slightly above that), after that this is not reached again.

From a look at the boiler manual it looks like the anti-cycling mode sets cycles of only 3 minutes though, which probably wouldn't explain the pattern with much longer cycles? (my knowledge of boilers goes towards 0 though, so might be completely wrong)

Any idea what other reasons might be/ what I can do to resolve this issue?

(note that I also checked whether it might be related to the valve pin being stuck, which is what the Tado customer support had suggested but wasn't the case)

• RuPe
    Options

(I wasn't able to attach the picture in the main post, so trying again here)

• RuPe
    Options

Johnny - thank you so much, that's useful to know - I wasn't sure how much actual 'learning' it does. I'll let it do its thing then (and hope I won't freeze in the meantime ;) )

• hugbilly
    Options

I'm intrigued by the statements which have been made about tado's "learning" ability in this forum recently. Is there any official documentation about it published by tado ? Hive made / makes great claims about the learning ability of its TRVs but, from experience, I don't think it means a thing and they work so badly anyway its hard to make a judgement. Looking at the performance graphs for rooms in my tado system I've not noticed much alteration in performance from day one of operation and so remain a little unconvinced about what learned changes it's accomplished . . .

• johnnyp78
    Options
    @hugbilly it’s a good question and I don’t think there’s much official documentation. I’m fairly certain Tado is a PID system but what that means in practice is another matter.
  • RuPe
    Options

To follow up on this, in case anyone else comes across the same problem: the issue turned out to be a very different one - the person who had done the installation had not connected the wireless receiver with the internet bridge.

So the boiler was doing its own, random thing and I only noticed it when I did some more digging into what the different lamps on the receiver mean. Would have been an easy thing to check, but didn't even come to mind as a possible cause.

• hugbilly
    hugbilly ✭✭✭
    Options

Well that's good to hear, though vexing for you that the install wasn't done correctly, but the $64,000 question must be is the system working properly now ?

• RuPe
    Options

It is! Small fluctuations around the target temperature (when measured by the thermostat, not noticeable in the room), which are probably normal.