Global Device Error History

Options

There's various system errors that are actionable and useful for the user to review for troubleshooting, if only they could review the relevant past historical info in one place focused solely on problems. An error log.

• lost signal periods for TRVs, sensors, receivers
  • disconnected internet periods for the internet bridge
  • open windows occurrences
  • the different causes of the mystery "Device Error" light on the Wireless Receiver

The last one in particular is the biggest curiosity, because it frequently flashes at random times, yet the mobile app has nothing to say about it.

This request is for a centralised problem log so advanced users with problems can review history to detect patterns of bad behaviour to aid troubleshooting.

----

Counter claim: "This info is already available if you inspect each device's temperature graph". Some info is available, but you have to scour the app proactively to find it. This takes too much effort and makes the whole system feel like a burden ("another mouth to feed") rather than an automated helper.

Counter claim: "This will make the app noisy and cause users to excessively worry". Please feel free to put this information behind some "Stats for nerds" opt-in preference.

Counter claim: "This will make the system feel less premium and less like a simple reliable Apple product". If the system were close to perfection, hiding this data would be fine. But my new install has various reliability issues that take multiple days to debug, e.g. the exact placement of the internet bridge. Some of my issues are due to my existing heating system and are not Tado's fault. But Tado could have been a much better aid in diagnosing those problems if the app were slightly better and nicely presented the data is surely already has access to.

---

Thanks for listening - I think the Tado system has the potential to be awesome.

2 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• paddyshiel
    Options

"This request is for a centralised problem log so advanced users with problems can review history to detect patterns of bad behaviour to aid troubleshooting." 👍️

This would be very helpful for troubleshooting some issues with Tado.

"Please feel free to put this information behind some "Stats for nerds" opt-in preference."

I also really love this idea. Actually surprised to not see it already somewhere in the app.