Bug Report: if a TRV dies while calling for heat, it continually calls for heat even in away mode

Options
I have just encountered a fairly annoying bug with Tado. We have been out all day, and tado was in away mode, everything looked like it was off. Annoyingly though we have come home to the house heated like a sauna. I have some radiators not on a TRV, howevet one Tado TRV was calling for heat even though they shouldn't have been.

I think I have figured out what happened. I can see one of the TRV batteries died while it was calling for heat. With all of the other TRVs I get a few days warning - with this one though, the batteries die very suddenly.

Anyhow - even when I switched all of the heating off (away mode), that TRV that died while calling for heat seemed to keep calling for heat through the whole day, even though it was switched to away mode.

Thankfully it was just one day - this would be very costly if it was over a holiday! I will have to keep a close eye on this happening again.

Tado seriously needs to address this though. If a TRV battery dies while calling for heat, the system cannot just keep calling for heat like this, while the system looks like it is off. It will cost people a fortune, which is completely against why we get tado in the first place! :/ :/

Comments

• SPT
    SPT ✭✭
    Options
    Tado should close off the rad and go into frost mode?
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

@Joecity If you can show that your TRV in question always fails suddenly and without notice AND is within warranty, I would suggest seeking a replacement is the answer. It's faulty.

• SPT
    SPT ✭✭
    Options
    I would question why the system isn't on frost mode whilst on holiday?
  • johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    Options
    @SPT that’s a fair point but it doesn’t say they were on holiday.
  • 281HR
    Options
    I suspect you may have batteries other than those detailed by TADO as I believe that with the correct batteries the valve will close to frost position when there is still enough juice to do so.