Advice needed

Options
SPT
SPT ✭✭
edited January 15 in General Questions & Topics
Hey Tado community,

I hope everyone is staying warm this winter. I wanted to reach out about a concern we're facing in our new build home and see if anyone else has experienced something similar.

In some of our bedrooms, we're struggling to maintain a temperature beyond 20°C. Our developer, mentioned that NHBC considers it an issue only if it doesn't reach 18°C. However, after visiting a friend's house with a different developer and house type (type 22 double radiators), where every room is comfortably warm, it got me thinking.

🥶

I've tried adjusting the vents and doors, running the heating from 5 am to 8:50 am, and even had the developer adding gaps to insulation in the loft. But I remain unconvinced. Is this a common characteristic of new builds nowadays? Our friend's house, built in 2015, seems to have a different experience.

Has anyone else faced similar challenges, and if so, how did you address them? Any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated!

Tado is running OpenTherm and barely goes past 60c. Our radiators are rated at 70c (45cm height and 60cm width), so I was wondering if there was a way to get the flow rate higher initially and then maintain with lower flow temperatures?

Any thoughts on this....

Comments

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    Options

Well built new builds are normally well insulated to the point they hardly need heating at all. 60c flow temp should be more than hot enough, especially over long periods. You could try removing the Tado trvs and seeing if the room heats up more without them, in which case it’s a problem with them. If it doesn’t I would guess it’s a problem with your boiler, either heating or the pump. Might be worth getting a professional in to look too.

• wateroakley
    Options

Our friend bought a new build three years ago. ASHP, underfloor downstairs, rads upstairs. The heating experience was awful. The developer sent in experts: Flow and return reversed. Crud in the pipework. No insulation in the loft. Downstairs carpets wrong.

They use an upstairs bedroom for WFH, it’s still very cold. The upstairs room stat is in the wrong place, IMHO. HW pressure tank exploded at 2am on Sunday morning.

while our 1960s warm air heating was a known problem, new builds are a nightmare.

• SPT
    SPT ✭✭
    Options
    On relay using the cheapo TRVs with danfoss thermostat, it heats up fast but boiler is at 70c. My question is, can OpenTherm go as high as 70c? If so why not in my house?
  • johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited January 15
    Options
    Opentherm is just a communication protocol. Tado could set your boiler to whatever your max flow temp but is choosing not to. Might be something to take up with support. I think that if your rooms aren’t heating up with a flow temp of 60c, increasing it to 70c won’t make much difference but I could be wrong. You could also try using a relay connection instead.

@wateroakley my experience of a new build is the polar opposite of that! Well insulated to the point that you need the windows open in winter. Dual zone heating system that works well apart from the incomprehensible danfoss programmer. Would probably be ideal for an ashp.