Replacing Three Channel Programmer - Need two Tado programmers?

Options

Hi all,

My house is a system boiler with three channels (Hot Water, Central Heat 1, Central Heating 2) and therefore two wired thermostats.

If I want Tado to be able to control HW, CH1, CH2 independently, do I need two Tado programmers for this to work. Essentially HW, CH1 on one and CH2 on the other?

I am currently thinking of buying the V3+ Wireless kit, and connecting HW and CH1 valves, and then leaving CH2 on the current programmer (as it is less used)

Is this the right way to go with this?

Answers

• wateroakley
    wateroakley ✭✭✭
    Options

You should be able to use the wireless starter kit with a wired thermostat for CH2.

• cjholding
    Options

I have Tado fitted to a 2 zone + HW system.

My two heating zones are controlled by wired thermostats, the wiring (to the thermostats) that was previously switched by the programmer is just connected with a wago connector to provide permanent power to the thermostats. The heating can still be disabled with the fused spur by the programmer.+

You don't actually need a programmer and a tado wired thermostat for the heating zones as the thermostats can do all the switching. The installation instructions for the thermostats state that the programmer should be set to always on, effectively disabling it.

I have the V3 extension box (but this is functionally equivalent to the V3+ box). This only controls the hot water and is fitted where the programmer used to be.

The only issue I had was getting Tado support to accept that I had wired thermostats and therefore didn't need a three channel programmer. They were convinced I had wireless thermostats and as there was (is) no support in Tado for more than one programmer you can switch more than two zones.