w.Intercom = i;Tado X and EveHome Thermo? — tado° Community

Tado X and EveHome Thermo?

I am not seriously suggesting anyone do this but the new Tado X range raises an interesting possibility. I would be more interested in knowing this is possible as a sign of Tado being truly open and fully Thread/Matter compatible than actually doing it.

What am I referring to?

Tado X uses the Thread wireless standard. It also will soon(ish) support Matter. The Tado X range includes a smart Thermostat, a smart TRV and a smart heat pump controller.

The interesting possibility is that thanks to the use of Thread and Matter it should in theory be possible to mix these with other Thread and Matter heating products such as the EveHome Thermo smart TRV.

I suspect that even after Tado add official Matter support the best one could hope for would be to combine them in scenes via Home, Samsung Smartthings or other platform.

As far as I can see it would be possible for Tado to go further and allow mixing these within the Tado app as this is the whole point of using Thread and Matter. Whether Tado do this is another matter. As a comparison Apple Home, Samsung Smarthings, Google Assistant, do to varying degrees. Matter 1.2 and 1.3 have also added improved Thread networking support to make it easier for different Thread brands to be linked as now it is possible to exchange the credentials between different Thread networks and Border Routers.

One possible use case is the fact that EveHome range only has a TRV and no equivalent to the Tado X Wired Thermostat, if someone had already got some of the EveHome Thermo TRVs they could 'upgrade' their setup with a Tado X Thermostat or heat pump controller.

Tagged:

Comments

• martini
    martini Volunteer Moderator

I've been holding off posting an answer to this thread, hoping someone else would take a jab at it - but I guess that's not happening… ;-)

To keep things in line with you: We're just brainstorming here, I am also almost certainly sure that nothing will come of this ;-)

I agree: it would absolutely possible for tado to allow adding 3rd party Matter-devices to their fabric and become an universal smarthome control center. Or at least to allow to use a proper window-sensor…

But I don't think that will ever happen - so far they have shown that their interests are focused on heating and a little bit of cooling - but nothing else. So why bother themselves with providing a miniature version of "IFTTT for your home"… And as far as I can tell, so far most other hardware manufacturers seem to subscribe to the same ideology: Use our app to get the best experience for our hardware, but fine - you may also connect them to another service if you really, really want everything in one place.

I think, that we'll be seeing a lot more usage of independent, 3rd party controllers such as Alexa, Google Home or whatever it's called in the Apple universe. And once pairing a matter-enabled device to such a device without any issues (looking at you, tado and Amazon!), I would assume that a lot of people might let go of the manufacturer-specific apps altogether. After all: Google Home displays the thermostat temperature just as well…

But do color me surprised, if tado actually announces that they want to become the one and only smart home superapp. But perhaps figure out first, how to get the Thread network key out of the bridge for 3rd party usage ;-)

• royi
    royi ✭✭✭

That's interesting, I was watching a Tado X review (in German) on You Tube. The you tuber said they asked Tado to make a door/window sensor or to add a Matter (sensor) device to the app to have a better experience with the Open Window Detection. But they declined to answer. However, this might be because X is so new and it's not on the roadmap. Who knows, things do change. It will be a game changer and I would definitely upgrade.